Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Printing from XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

franklin97355

Technical User
Jul 11, 2002
US
Boy is this driving me up a wall!
Just in the last week or so I have been having trouble with printing. When I print to the network printer (HP Laserjet 5si) all I get is the last page (from IE6) or mis-formatted output (Access). Not sure where to go next. I have removed and reinstalled Office and removed and reinstalled the printer drivers (both the builtin drivers and downloaded drivers for XP from HP)
Any Ideas will be greatfully accepted.

franklin97355,
Just a hunch (without seeing the printouts first hand), I would summise that maybe you have the printer set to 600 dpi. Try lowering it to 300 dpi and giving that a go.
I have noticed before that printers give wierd results, especially networked ones, when their onboard memory isn't sufficient to create pages in 600 dpi.
You can always get someone to buy more mem for the printer, but on a 'normal' printout the difference between 300 and 600 is hardly noticable.
Also, if this is a truly networked printer, What O/S is the server running. I've had bad experiences with 2000 servers running PS drivers, especially for HP printers. Change over to PCL 5 or 6.
Hope that helps,
GarBot

linney: I went to that site and didn't find anything that addressed my problem so I left a message and will see what comes of it. Thanks for the pointer.
GarBot: I'll have to look at the settings on the printer but since other computers print to it OK I'm thinking it has something to do with XP settings. The printer is on an internal jetdirect card with both Netware and TCP/IP on I've tried using both with the same results. Is there a way to make sure ALL drivers and associated files are removed before reinstalling the print drivers?

Some HP Printers offer a test page via the properties page and the "Test Printer" option, this test page often includes a list of driver files.

That said, any such list must be able to be printed for you to be able to later check that the files are removed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back