Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Printing from wrong tray/source on HP2100

Status
Not open for further replies.

sebjenkins

Technical User
Jan 8, 2003
GB
My HP LaserJET will only print from paper tray (the top one!) which is the tray where you would normally print letter from ??

It was always printing from trays 2 or 3 then suddenly one day it wil only print from tray 1.

If you take the paper out of tray 1 and close the door it will display the red/orange light to say its out of paper even though trays 2 & 3 are full of paper.

Pcs printing to this printer are running Win2K Professional printing via a print queue on a Win2K server.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

What happens when you try to print to the printer? Does a light blink and wait for you to put paper in tray 1, or can you hit the GO button and make it print from tray 2. Ours did this for a while. By hitting the GO button, it would then print from tray 2.

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

When you send a print job to the printer it automatically takes it from tray 1 immediately. No prompt is given or required. If you remove paper in the hope that it will take the paper froma different source it just shows the red out of paper light until you reinsert the paper in tray 1.

Your printer has more than likely been set to Manual Feed = On. To remedy this, you should perform a cold reset on it. Power down the printer, then press the Job Cancel (small) button down while turning the power back on. Hold the button until a the LED’s are lit. If you are using a JetDirect card in the printer, you should remove the card prior to doing this, otherwise the card configuration will be erased, too.

Ahem... *coughs...*
To cold reset you must hold down the GO button while powering on till all three LEDS lit, not the cancel job button with the red triangle.
And of course beware that an inserted JD card will be reset too on all values entered.

Thanks for your help but have done as suggested and the 'flamin' thing still wants paper in the manual feed tray. As before if the paper is taken out from here then the LED goes red until the paper is reinsterted.

I'm totally confused as this was working fine until recently.
Hope its not a hardware problem.......

hpwizzard (Ahem...cough, cough)...unless there is a misprint in the Service Manual, it's the JOB CANCEL button. It's always worked for me....[peace]

Have done the above process with both buttons and still no joy.

However I do just want to say I really do appreciate the time you have taken to respond to this post.

Regards

If tray 1 is empty and your application is set for one of the lower trays or 'default'and you get the attention light on, will it print from another tray when you press the Go button. And is only the attention light on, or is the small LED by the large Go button also on? You could be experiencing an Error 55 engine communication error, which could mean a controller problem. I'm not up on server set-ups, but your problem could be there. Have you tried a parallel connection directly to a stand-alone PC to see if the problem goes away?

It is the LED that is next to the 'Cancel' button that is ALWAYS on even when the printer is not connected to the network and nonone has printed to it. Only goes out when you put paper in the manual feed tray as it pushes the paper sensor in. So its not that its prompting for paper to be inserted so it can print a job in memory.

I also noticed that in the printer properties it does not give Tray 3 as an option under form/tray assignment until I change the Base POrinter model to a 2200TM (which is what it is) but then after I make that change the Apply button is greyed out and if i press o.k. the change is not recorded !
Perhaps it cant see tray 3 at all ??

...I'm getting confused here now; your subject heading was for a straight HP 2100...now you say it's a 2200TN, though the TN is self explanatory, seeing how you referred to tray 3 and server connection. But if it is 2200, Cold Reset is powering on with Go button only pressed, until the Attention LED lights. All I can gather from your info is that you are getting a 'Paper Out' error only...that is, IF it is only the orange led beside the triangle that is on solid after you power on and the printer is not connected to anything. (there is no LED beside the Job Cancel button on either a 2100 or 2200. And this is for the 2100. That pattern does not fit the 2200 except as a secondary error in regards to memory overflow. Now...as you also seem to be having a problem with tray 3 being recognized, try removing it (just lift the printer straight up) and see if you can run a Self Test (press both buttons together, momentarily) from Tray 2 (no paper in tray 1) Let me know.

Hello double check your settings on your computer and set to auto-select of paper. Hope this helps. Cherie

trying using a different driver, on hp 2100n printers I have gone and downloaded the lastest driver off of HP website, installed it and printer is back to using the correct tray

I had this same problem just recently (I searched for the symptoms).

Doing a hard reset with the little cancel button solved it. The weird part was, on every application it was set to Tray 1 (Manual feed), even if I switched it to tray 2 and said OK, when I'd go immediately back into the printer settings, it would be back on tray 1.

Conclusion: For whatever reason, the printer was saying that Tray 2 wasn't available, and a hard reset on the printer fixed it.

Just my $.02

"In order to start solving a problem, one must first identify it's owner." --Me
--Greg

I suspect its a WindoZe problem.
Try the windoze printer management thang, (Start menu, Settings, Printers, right click-clack on HP-2100), then
manually change to each tray, and do a testprint. Does it work properly ?
If yes, then look carefully at the applications softwares you're using. Lost of Micro$oft products will try and override your printer selections. If pain persists, install Linux.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back