Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Printing from Word 2002

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gryzor

MIS
Feb 18, 2003
GB
hi

I have a problem when printing from Word 2002. If i have a document that starts in portrait changes to landscape and back to portrait again, all will print OK except the last section of portrait. This section will print in portrait allright but the bottom section of the pages do not print. The amount of text that prints out on the last portrait pages is the same as the height of the landscape pages before. The bottom is blank. Its hard to describe!!!

l-------l l-------------l
l Text l l l
l Text l l l
l-------l l-------------l
l blank l
l-------l

This happens on all our printers, all HP 6 or 7 differant models.

Any ideas appreciated!!

Thanks
Barry

Hi. Can you tell me exactly what pages?

For instance, just after 2.5.3., there is a page break. Are you aware of that?

On my PC, because of the printer/driver, I get 17 pages. My printer is not capable of the margins in this document so the text bumps to the next page. When that text is then followed by a page break, it tends to create pages with very little content at the top and big blank sheets of paper following.

Does any of the above hit you as being the potential problem or should I look further?

What I have done in the past: If working with documents that are generally printed to Printer A, and I own Printer B, install the drivers for Printer A anyway (don't attempt to run a test print page, LOL!), and then choose that printer before working in that document. This way, you see it the way it's intended to be printed, and not how it will print on your printer.

Anne Troy
Way cool stuff:

Anne

I don't think its anything to do with page breaks or formatting, the print just stops at the exact same line accross each page, could be mid table, mid sentance.
i'll mail u two scans of the prints.

Thanks
Barry

I've tried, Barry, but I simply don't get that same behavior on my PC using an Epson 800 printer and an HP 1200C printer driver (not really a printer installed).

In print preview, I see everything.

Things to try anyway: (Of course I tried them, but since I couldn't duplicate the behavior anyway...)

1. Save the file as RTF, close it, reopen it and save it as a doc.

2. I do not like that your drawings have those pieces on top. I encourage you to group those drawing objects to become one (See drawing toolbar, Draw-->Group).

3. I don't like one of your landscaped pages, which has columns that extend off the right-hand side of the page. You should show gridlines in your document and get rid of them--they're empty columns...

4. Copy all but the last paragraph return (turn the show/hide button on so you can see them) to a new document. Save the new file.

That's about the best I can do with it without recreating it piece by piece into a new document.

Good luck!

Anne Troy
Way cool stuff:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back