Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Printing From Web Pages

Status
Not open for further replies.

fawkes

Technical User
Sep 12, 2003
GB
There are lots of different answers all over the web on this, few of them complete for a newbie to understand so I was hoping that I could collect a general understanding here.

The problem is printing from a web page.

There are two main problems:

1. The client's PC will add headers and footers to the print out
2. It is difficult to manage page breaks

So...

1. What can you do yourself with a bit of code
2. What is out there that is free license
3. What is out there that has a cost
4. What is the standard (if there is one) way of dealing with this?

There are two main problems:
1. The client's PC will add headers and footers to the print out
2. It is difficult to manage page breaks
i will grant you 2. html is not designed for print.

#1 however, how can the client add headers/footers? unless you mean using javascript to modify the DOM.

the first question is what format will you be printing:
html, pdf, xls, rtf, cvs, doc?

this would have an impact on what reporting framework you may use.

the .net framework comes with Crystal Reports for .Net and Reporting Services. I have used Crystal Report for .Net (which is like a quirky cousin to the full suite of Business Objects reporting solutions). I haven't used Reporting Services, so I can't say anything about that.

there are also reporting frameworks from most of the major GUI libraries:
componentArt
Telerik
Business Objects
Dundas
Infragistics

Jason Meckley
Programmer
Specialty Bakers, Inc.

#1 however, how can the client add headers/footers? unless you mean using javascript to modify the DOM.

by this I mean that the browser is usually setup to print page numbers the url and the page title in the headers/footers of the page

Thanks for the tip about Crystal Reports for .Net and Reporting Services, I'll take a look at those.

I would definately look at Crystal, if you are using SQL Server 2k5 or 2k8 then look into Reporting Services. They are both great tools.

I would also look into a CSS framework like Blueprint This framework helps in a lot of css problems, but specifically helping in your problem of printing a webpage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back