Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Printing from Visionfs to Win2K Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

silentrunning52

IS-IT--Management
Aug 30, 2004
I am trying to come up with a way to automatically print to through my windows 2000 Server using visionfs. I know this has been addressed, but this is a little different. I am using JP Radley's patch file to patch my HPLaserJet model to an HPLaserVision model in order to have format control over my printing. This works fine with a win98 machine which requires no authentication. This file will not work with Windows 2000 because a password and username are required for the visionfs printer. If I just setup the printer in visionfs it works, but I have no format control like I do with the HPLaserVision script. I have tried visionfs client settings and can map my win2k server no problem, but I still can't print even with that connection. Any suggestions?

I'm not sure I follow that JPRadley script, but if you can find the actual "visionfs print" command in your printer's interface file, you can add the authentication parameters required by Windows2000 (and XP, etc.)

This last line in the script (referenced by your link above) currently states:

+ } | $VISIONFS print $PDEST -

Change it like so:

+ } | $VISIONFS print $PDEST --user vprint --password vprint -

Now, on the WIN2K box, create a local user called "vprint" with the same password.

Hope this helps. We pass Authentication in this manner quite often with good results. Just make sure the "vprint" user's account doesn't require password changes.

Excellent suggestion it worked perfectly, thank you for the help. What I did was modify the model files I created using the JPRadley patch. The last line in the model files is the visionfs print line. The reason I changed the model files is we have different models for compressed, standard, and landscape printing since we modify the model files for these choices. That is the reason we used this method.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back