Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Printing from DOS Apps in XP 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

hceonetman

Technical User
Mar 16, 2001
US
I have a user who runs an old DOS program on his networked XP machine, but is unable to print to a networked printer. The program is limited to print to the lpt ports. In Win98 printers could be 'captured' to printer ports, but I can't find the corresponding function in XP. I tried 'Net Use \\Printer name LPT1'. The command seems to execute, but then 'dir >lpt1' does not print anything. When installing new printers, you are no longer asked whether you will be printing from DOS apps. Is DOS no longer supported?

Thanks for any help,
HCEONETMAN

See if this thread is any help.

thread779-279009

DOS died with XP. Some of the things still work, but for the most part DOS is not easily used with XP. You can try to run the program as a 95 application, by right clicking it and going to properties, and then compatability. Change the program compatablilty mode to 95 and see if that helps. Otherwise send the output to a text file and print the text file. Jason Wichman
ftp://jwichman.ath.cx:22

Thanks, Linney. "Net Use" works if you get the syntax right. In addition, the connection can be created as 'persistent' so it will work from one session to the next.
Is there any way to view the results of Net Use? Something equivalent to the Netware 'Capture Show'.

HCEONETMAN

Try this

dir > dirlist
Print dirlist

It works for me.

Joe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back