Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Printing error and duplicate client names

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrAlan

IS-IT--Management
Oct 14, 2002
GB
I have two PCs which execute an ICA file to access a published application. Both PCs shows as connected with a client name of "Console". This is not their real client name. Their real client name is configured correctly and is in the WFCNAME.INI file. When I connect to a standard desktop through Program Neighbourhood the PCs both connect properly.

Other PCs with the same OS use exactly the same ICA files and do not have this problem.

The consequence of this is that because the client names are not unique, the printers for the first PC work but for the second PC they do not work.

Any ideas why the client name is not always being defined properly?

Thanks

What version of the ICA Client are you running?
Are you by any chance running different versions of the ICA client on your network? As I have recently been having this problem of duplicate client names, and have just discovered what may be happening.

All clients are V6.01.963 at the moment. I was considering moving to V6.03 though.
It seems to happen on one PC all the time, another PC sometimes and another PC never (so far).
What have you discovered?

I have found that the ICA Client Ver 6.1 ini file entry is reflected in Citrix Management Console. But with ICA Client Ver 6.3, the pc client name is read from the following location in the local registry of the client pc:

My Computer\hkey_local_machine\software\Citrix\ICAClient

I also found that on the Client with the 6.3 version, editing the ini file made no difference to CMC, whereas, editing the above registry key does reflect whatever you enter, in CMC....I even deleted! the ini file(good practice/bad practice, I don't know) and it worked fine....I'm still doing some testing on this, so, draw your own conclusions...

Hope it is of some help

Thanks that is very useful.

I am happy to use V6.03!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back