Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Printing characters to right or left

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hacim

Technical User
Sep 5, 2002
US
Using CR 8.5 w/SQL 2000
I am trying to create a Crystal formula that would print all characters to the right (or after) the words "Work Performed:" and then an other formula that would print just the characters to the left (or before) the words "Work Perfomred:" to go on another part of the report page.

Unfortunately, we have to input different types of information into the same {wo.comments}field

The second problem is that this {wo.comment} field is in a subreport, so I think I need to create two shared variables and use them in the main report. I think I can handle the variable part. Any help thanks.

This will work only if 'Work Performed:' appears in every single record and only once:

//Formula @LeftSide:
stringVar array x := (Split ({wo.comments},'Work Performed:')) ;
x[1];

//Formula @RightSide:
stringVar array x := (Split ({wo.comments},'Work Performed:')) ;
ltrim(x[2]);

-dave

Thanks for your help.
I ran into another problem "Blob field or memo field cannot be used in a formula."
I wondered why the {woc.texts}field was not visible in the formula editor when I tried to create the variables.
Thanks for your response.

Had a feeling that your comments field was either an ntext or memo field. You'll have to convert it with an SQL Expression field before you can use it.

Make a new SQL Expression field with a formula like this:
convert(varchar(255),wo."comments")

Then replace {wo.comments} with the name of your SQL Expression.

-dave

Better still, create the 2 formulas you need using SQL Expressions.

Here's an example of getting the left side:

substring({wo.comments}, 1,charindex('Work Performed:',{wo.comments})-1)

The right:

substring({wo.comments}, charindex('Work Performed:',{wo.comments})+15,1000)

That way if there's more than 254 chars, you don't have to lose data, and it will be much faster as the server does the work.

-k

I typed into the SQL Epressions Editor:
convert(varchar(255),woc."texts") and inserted it into the report in place of field {woc.texts} and is still blank in the report.

I created SQL expression:
substring({woc.texts},1,charindex('Work Performed:',{woc.texts})-1) and when I tried to insert it and got an error
"[ODBC SQL Server Driver]Syntax error or access violation"

Just curious, how can you insert a field in the SQL Expression editor if it doesn't show up in the list of available fields?

Maybe I should also add that this report was designed to run as a work order report. I call it a template. When the report is printed (or run) through the software, it will only show me the records for one distinct work order.

Appreciate your help so far.

I get the same error with SV's, but the SQL is definitely valid.

Have you considered using a stored procedure instead?

The reason you can use your ntext fields in a SQL Expression even though they don't show up in the list is that Crystal sends whatever you type directly to your server. In other words, it writes a select statement, using your expression as the column name. At least I think that's what it's doing...

-dave

Hi,
I've had a similar problem. I am trying to show a memo field (using CR8.5 and ODBC connection into a D3 Database) but need to convert the VMs into CRLFs or spaces. (The maximum length of the field is currently 1195chars but is expected to grow further.) However, I cannot get the SQL Expression method to work. I get a "syntax error" and the cursor is positioned in front of the field name which is FSLOGOUT.Comments. Does anyone have any other suggestions?
Thanks in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back