Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Printing Blank Pages

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 4, 2002
GB
This problem is driving me nuts!! I have been searching around and see others have the same problem, but not all exactly alike, and any workarounds they use don't work here.

The problem we have is when ACrobat is used to print a pdf to a particular printer (HP Universal PS driver on an HP 4515) the pages all come out (if 88 printed, 88 pages comes out), but all of them are blank!!

If we set the Advanced option to print as image, though, it works. But this is not an ideal solution for people who don't understand (no matter how many times you explain) what this option does.

They just want to hit the print button and click OK.

If anyone has any ideas, even just jump off points for me to look further, I would be very happy!

Will

The problem we have is when Acrobat is used to print a pdf

Which Acrobat/version? If you are printing pre-existing pdf images with the free reader, the problem is likely the printer driver for the specific printer.

If you are using PDF Creator, pre-Version 7, make sure you are printing with the Distiller, and not PDF Printer. With Version 7 & later, Distiller is the only option available ("only option"? - an oxymoron, but I digress...).

If Version 7 or later, and the printer driver is not only PS-compliant, but actually works with your installation for other reports, it's time to start wading through options in the application, and properties in the Acrobat printer in the Printers/Faxes folder.

"Don't be irreplaceable. If you can't be replaced, you can't be promoted."

We are using Acrobat 8 across the board. Reader and/or creator (some only have reader - same problem for all of them).

Grr... I just typed a reply, quite long and my new keyboard killed it!

Anyway. I now sort of know what a PPD is, as I read the Readme. But it is very confusing. It says something about running AdobePS? Here are some of the steps:

Code:
3.	Start the AdobePS Setup Utility: From the Start Menu, choose Programs > AdobePS > AdobePS Setup Utility.

4.	Follow the instructions that appear on your screen to begin the installation.

5.	When the Setup Utility prompts you for the location of the PPD file, navigate to the folder containing your PPD file.

Even if someone can help with this, it is quite complex and I can't get each user to do this. We install drivers from a print server.

If I install the PPD on the server will it propogate to users who install the driver remotely?

Is there anyone out there that has done this before who might have a quick and dirty procedure I can follow to implement this idea? Or has another one?

Will

Adding to that, what is annoying is step 3. There is no Start Menu folder that has AdobePS or anything to do with the printer drivers! So I can't actually get past that even if I wanted to!

Will

HP printers don't understand this language
Odd, we have 12 that do. You need to download the PS driver for HP from their website. Also, oddly, this has been addressed above.

"Don't be irreplaceable. If you can't be replaced, you can't be promoted."

Hmm, I must have seemed like I don't know much about printers. Please allow me to rectify.

I am an IT Manager, and have had 20 years experience with printers from Xerox (very PS friendly), HP, Epsom, and various others.

I know how drivers work and have
even written a few for Linux.

I know that HP printers need a specific PS driver to work, but in the case of this new model, there is only the HP Universal PS Driver available for it.

I suspected it was the driver, but was hoping it might be a switch in Adobe somewhere.

Clearly this is not the case or someone would have mentioned it.

So, "downloading the right driver," after 6 posts, is kind of insulting, but I won't take it that way, as you clearly did not realise who was asking the question.

If anyone has anything of technical value, please respond and let me know.

Will
(NOT blond) :)

For the record, genomon's first post was at least a good starting point, but alas I still do not have any solution. Even tried reinstalling Acrobat. What is strange now is that some PCs work fine with ACrobat reader, but its only those with Acrobat STandard that don't work.

The most recent version of Acrobat 8 is 8.1.2

Have you checked for updates to Acrobat? There is a link in the Help menu. You can also check to see what version you currently have by selecting Help -->About.

Some of the updates address print driver issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back