Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Printing and access to Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

JEDORI

Technical User
Oct 15, 2001
US
Have a client who has NT 4.0 on a PII 300 and whenever he tries to print it gives an error that it was unable to complete, Retry or Cancel, Retry doesn't work. Also, when he copies a file to the server under his Folder the system hangs there. I have to log off and then log back on. When I go to open the file, a .JPG in this case, then it opens, eventually, but just shows a little square Icon in the upper left of IE 5.5.

This tells me that there may be a communicaion problem. They tried to do a Service Pack previously but it went bad and had to recover from it. Personally, I think there is a file in NT that may be bad now. I suggested Scandisk and Defrag, never done before on that machine.

I am able to see everything on the Network, even re-install the printer but to print or copy/paste a file gives problems.

Any suggestions?

THANKS!

Jeff

More info needed. Is the printer a local or network printer? What service pack is installed, what pack did they try to install?

Matt J.

The printer is a shared printer on a "98" machine. The 98 machine is changing to another Win flavor, either XP Pro or 2000 Pro. No Service Packs, according to the user. He said he had tried to load SP 5 or 6...

Jeff

If this problem occured after the service pack problem you had, then I agree, some file is damaged, or you might have a registry bug. Try installing SP 6a.

Matt J.

Unfortunately Service Packs can't be added to this version of AutoCad. :( Will look at other options...

What do you mean? I mean SP 6a for NT, not AutoCAD. If the version of AutoCAD you have is not compatible with NT SP 6a, then I would understand...

So for sure this problem occured right after the user applied a SP?

What protocols do you have running? Have you tried reinstalling them?

Matt J.

Autocad is not compatible with SP6, according to the client. I could try reinstalling the adapter, services and Protocols.

Thanks for the help!

Jeff

No problem... That sounds like BS to me, I don't do a lot of AutoCAD, but it would have to be a pretty old version to not be compatible... What version Autocad do you have?

Matt J.

If you are attemting to print from Autocad as the discussion would appear - check that the correct Printer is configured within Autocad.

Also, check the Printer Driver is the NT Version and not the Win98 version installed from the Network printer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back