Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Printing Across then Down

Status
Not open for further replies.

mulchman

Programmer
Apr 1, 2002
US
Hello

I am accessing data from a SQL Server database and I am using Crystal Reports 8. When I access data from the database, 1 to 20 records may be produced.

Instead of listing the data from the records as:
Record1
Record2
Record3

I would like to list the records horizontally and then when the first row is done, go to the second row as such:
Record1 Record2 Record3 Record4
Record5 Record5 Record6

I am using a formula which appears not to work.
THe first formula for the first record is:
if {@Count_Records} = 1 then
ToText(DateTimeTODate({a_rpt_letter_transcript_sub_v.date_hearing}))

The second formula for the second record is:
if {@Count_Records} = 2 then
ToText(DateTimeTODate({a_rpt_letter_transcript_sub_v.date_hearing}))

Instead, I still get the vertical listing such as
Record1
Record2

Any ideas?

Thanks

Are you choosing a mailing label type report when you first enter design mode? If so the report expert will prompt you for across then down, or down then across, however you would like to do this.

Another alternative is to format the section in question and select "format with multiple columns". Again you can tell Crystal across then down.

One of these two approaches should work for you, and no formulas are needed to achieve this effect. Software Training and Support for Macola, Crystal Reports and Goldmine
251-621-8972
dgilsdorf@mchsi.com

Thanks for the reply.

I checked "format with multiple colums" but it did not work.

The data itself is not on a stand alone page. Rather it is in a subreport. (This may not make any difference)

In the subreport I am using the the Group header to bring in data as such.

Info1

Info2

Under the group header, in the detail section I tried using the formula and I tried "format with multiple colums" for the Database FIeld.

If it works the subreport should produce something like this:

Info1
Record1 Record2 Record3 Record4
Record5

Info2
Record1 Record2

Any ideas?

Thanks

Did you edit the subreport, and format it as multiple columns, or did you format the main report as multiple columns.

I would try this both ways.

I really don't know if this works with a subreport, I have never tried it. Software Training and Support for Macola, Crystal Reports and Goldmine
251-621-8972
dgilsdorf@mchsi.com

Format with Multiple Columns should work fine if this is in the details section. Did you set up the Layout properly? If you just tick the box for Format with Multiple Columns, it doesn't do anything. You need to set the column width and spacing and Printing Direction on the Layout tab that appears.

Hello

Thanks for the info.

When I checked the format with multiple columns, I filled out the vertical and horizontal gap but did not fill out the detail size width. I assumed the width would be the width of the database field.

For your info, there are some additional problems I need to work out since the Group Header brings in 4 fields and the record pops to the right of the Header. It looks something like this.

Info1Line1 Record1 Record2 Record3
Info1Line2
Info1Line3
Info1line4

I was hoping it would be:
Info1Line1
Info1Line2
Info1Line3
Info1line4
Record1 Record2 Record3

I will try to work that out myself unless anyone has has Great Ideas.

Thanks

Hello

I got it to work this way.

Info1Line1
Info1Line2
Info1Line3
Info1line4
Record1 Record2 Record3

In the lay out section, I unchecked format group with multiple columns.
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back