Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Printing Access Denied

Status
Not open for further replies.

slick007

Technical User
Sep 20, 2005
US
I'm moving my win2k print server over to a 2003 server with AD. Printer setup was no problem. User's who authenticate to the server have no problem adding printers or printing, but others who don't have account on the server are unable to install a printer without out first suppling a user id and password. How can I share my printers where anyone can print to them.
Thanks

You should be able to go on the server, right click on the printer you'd like to share, and go to the Security tab and add the EVERYONE group with Print access.

"Rule #1 - When stumped, check your Event Logs!

I had already set the security to allow everyone print access, I even gave them full control and still they were required to supply a user id and password. The event log shows "event id 529", which means their not authenicating.

Yep..you answered your own question, those users are not authenicating. Either have them login to the domain or bypass the server and set up each PC to print directly to the printer bypassing the server. One or the other...Any reason you don't want them to login to the domain?

If the users are not authenticated to the domain, then you must give guest access to the printer. Please note that enabling the guest account can cause security issues.

A+/MCP/MCSE/MCDBA

Yea, I was afraid that was going to be the answer. I'll have all of them on the this domain soon, I just wanted a quick fix until I get them all moved over. I was thinking there was a registry hack to allow this.

Thanks for all the help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back