Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Printing a number of copies of each record dependent on field value

Status
Not open for further replies.

machtenx

IS-IT--Management
Dec 2, 2003
US
So the need came up for me to be able to exclude certain records from a print. So I made a field with a radio button value 0 or 1 and made a script with a search right before printing to find those records whose value was 1 therefore the 0's do not get printed.

What I would like to do is create another value, say 3 which indicates that the record need to be printed 3 times. At the same time I still need only 1 copy of the 1's.

Any ideas for a solution to this problem? Thanks
Matt

Sounds tricky, since I believe the specific print options variables are outside of the reach of FileMaker, however you can save the print setup.
There's a couple of ways to go about this. One is just to create a script which loops through a one-copy print. The loop variable would be based on the number of copies you need to generate.
Another approach which creates just one print but only is reasonable if the number of copies is limited to a relatively small number. Do a print setup for 1 copy, then make a script saving that print setup (call it print1copy), then I'd create another print setup for 2 copies and make another script saving that print setup (calling it print2copies). Continue this for the max number of copies you think you'd ever want. Finally, create a 'Print' script which intelligently calls one of the above-saved scripts based on the number of copies needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back