Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PRINTERS - Server Properties Where??? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 7, 2007
US
Where is the equivalent screen in Windows 7 of Printer Server Properties where you can view/remove printer drivers? This was a Windows 7 Pro machine.

I can't seem to find it and Googling has not enlightened me. I know it was there in Vista.

I saw a post that said:
"Open mmc console, Click File, Add/Remove Snap-ins, select Print Management, and specify the Server ,(in your case Add Local server)"

BUT, there was not an option to add Print Management snap-in.

AND THIS (below), but I saw nothing there relating to print management.

Go to Control Panel

1. System and Security
2. Administrative Tools
3. Print Management
4. Printer Servers
5. %Computer Name%

If you go to Control Panel\Hardware and Sound\Devices and Printers, and then if you highlight the relevant Printer icon, do you see a heading "Print Server Properties" across the Explorer bar near the top of the page? If you click on that tab you should be able to access the Security tab (and the Drivers tab). Is this what you are searching for?

Thanks for posting, linney.

I don't remember for sure whether I've seen that, but it's good to know. I know it's taken some getting use to having such easy access to things... well, depends upon how you look at it. But it's kinda nice how that when you select one item, the relevant menu items and context menu items show rather than non-relevant.

I don't have access to that PC right now and I don't have Windows 7 yet (boo hoo), but I'll scope it out.

What I recall is that on one PC, I couldn't add the snap-in in. Perhaps that was a 7 HOME machine, which I believe, does not allow that functionality. Would explain things on that machine.

KJV - I don't know that A) I like it better, B) it's easier access or C) more relevant items are present. You need to tell me now that I need to GET USED TO IT (windows 7).

goomb,

It's all a matter of getting used to it, really. I mean, when I first started using Win7, some things were more difficult, just b/c it wasn't what I was accustomed to. Then again, from trying different Linux distros to tinkering with FreeNAS to different flavors of SQL and on and on, whatever you use, you just have to learn the different quirks.

If you just think about it by looking at XP and Win7 out of the box, with no preconceived ideas from usage of either, Win7 will win every time, hands down, I think.

One thing I REALLY like better is the way you can do with Windows Explorer's address bar. It's dynamic in a few ways. At first, I didn't like it, but the more I use it, the more I like it.

With the topic at hand, I have missed the File menu showing, but I am getting a better understanding of why it's not there. And though it would be more comforting for it to just be there, it makes sense (with the given layout) for the dynamic menus instead... and it does in some ways seem to give you more options rather than less, anyway.

And if you don't have access to Windows 7 at home or work, you could always install it as a trial at home on a spare PC for whatever time period it is just to get used to it. After all, things aren't slowing down in that area. Microsoft is already getting closer to releasing Windows 8 already! [spineyes]

I knew I could count on you for the full 5 dollar/pound response.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back