Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Printers lose network connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

compaqtech

Technical User
Jul 18, 2002
GB
Hi there

we are running the latest version of jetadmin with 128 printers on it. The problem is that the printers switch off (NOT STANDBY) after about 5 minutes what i mean by switch off is that there is no longer network activity you cant ping or reset remotely, we have tried all the obvious solutions power save etc.. we even brought a printer of our own that was working fine to the 2nd floor (this is the area worse affected)and the same thing happened there we swapped one of the affected printers to our area and it works fine we tried changing network cards but with no difference. The only solution we have found is to press the button on the printers to take it out of (STANDBY) i use standby in brackets as it's not exactly a normal standby. I think it might be a network problem but would like to hear from anyone with similar problems and or solutions and any suggestions thanks in advance.

Printers using JetDirect have the ability to be set to a hard-coded IP address or get one from the DHCP server. I'm guessing you're using DHCP, perhaps with licenses that expire after 5 minutes? Have you set DHCP reservations for each printer? How large is your DHCP range, does it have room to spare? Why don't you try changing one printer to a static IP address and see what happens. If it stays online longer than the others, then likely DHCP is having problems somewhere.

Another idea, when you mention 128 printers, I wonder if you've exceeded some sort of maximum device limitation there by adding one too many. You know, 32, 64, 128, 256, etc. Turn off a dozen of them and see if the problem goes away while they're off? (Again, if using DHCP, a too-small DHCP range could be at the root of the problem.)

It'll be interesting to hear what the solution is...

dbMark

Hi thanks for the response we use only static addresses here so that rules out the DHCP solution I am not sure about the maximum device limitation these printers were working fine for over a year there was a power outage and from then on they have been acting like this.

Could a network switch have gotten damaged in the power outage? Think about how your switches are interconnected and at various points in the branches try pinging a "lost" printer connection. Start doing so from a nearby computer. Is it gone even from a nearby connection? If not, then backtrack farther away until you lose it.

I'm not all that familiar with JetAdmin. If JetAdmin is controlling everything, could the program installation or the computer it's running on have been damaged back then?

I agree with dbMark. Sounds like a switch is going t/u.
Is jetadmin the web version ? The web version will give you a red bar thru the status line and a communications error.
The pinging dbMark suggested should help ascertain problems with arp tables on the switch(s) or pc's.

Rick Harris
SC Dept of Motor Vehicles
Network Operations

I though of something else which may have a bearing. Verify the jet direct ethernet speed setting(s) and duplex setting.
Have your network folk verify the switch port setting.
We hard code our settings(don't rely on auto-negotiate).

Rick Harris
SC Dept of Motor Vehicles
Network Operations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back