Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

printers inventory 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

slimkh

MIS
Jul 4, 2006
SA
Need help in making inventory for my network printers,they are being discovered in network discovery,but it only shows me the ip and mac address but no name or serial information available.

You need to edit your SMS_Def.mof file

open c:\sms\inboxes\clifiles.box\hinv\sms_def.mof in notepad.
Sorry, before you do anything, copy and paste/rename a copy of the sms_def.mof, just incase, even though incorrect files are restored to the last known good configuration, I dont like risking it.

Edit > Find > Printer > you will find the Printer Device Class. Change "SMS_Report (FALSE)," to "SMS_Report (TRUE)," in the class header, so above the words Printer Device. Then you will find all the properties underneath the Win32_Printer WMI class.
Go through all of these and change to TRUE the SMS Reporting Value for all of the properties you wish to report. Rememeber the reporting value is ABOVE the property.

Some of the properties you may want are

Description | DeviceID | Location | Name | PrinterStatus | ServerName | ShareName | SystemName | HorrizontalResolution | VerticalResolution.

Save the sms_def.mof. The mof will automatically be compiled, and the policy distributed on the next hardware inventory cycle. You will not start to see data being filled though untill after the second HINV cycle has been completed, or maybe even the third.

Hope this Helps.

Neil J Cotton
njc Information Systems
Systems Consultant

thanks neil,
i will try this and get back to you as soon as it works

Don't thank me, pay me.
I accept payment in cash, credit, musical instruments, forum votes, squiral pelt, furniture polish, and at a push...cheques.

Let us know dude

Hope this Helps.

Neil J Cotton
njc Information Systems
Systems Consultant

I did the thing you told me about and i got the inventory for printers, but the problem is that it gave me the inventory for printers attached to the computers.
What i need is to have information of network printers, serial number for the printer and netbios name.
One more thing, is it possible to have information about routers and switches like serial numbers???

strange, I though that should just do network printers, will have a look into it for you fella.

Hope this Helps.

Neil J Cotton
njc Information Systems
Systems Consultant

I have no printers on my test network, so I am going at this blind. Does this return inventory for both network and pc-connected printers? Or just connected?

Hope this Helps.

Neil J Cotton
njc Information Systems
Systems Consultant

This returns any printers that are found installed on the pc's, for example you have a network printer with the drivers installed on a certain pc, it will return the printer that is found in the printers and faxes. SMS also returned the jaws printer driver.

My main goal is to get the IP,Sharename,and SERIAL NUMBER of a printer. I'm just wondering if it could be done...

So, network printers are not found? Or are returned in many instances?

I will have a look, consult my sources.

Hope this Helps.

Neil J Cotton
njc Information Systems
Systems Consultant

i'm sorry for my misinterpretation, network printers are found in the collection as IP addresses only, when i turned the hardware inventory for printers to TRUE it showed me what i told you before about printers found on the pcs

thanks for the help,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back