Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Printers in Login Scripts

Status
Not open for further replies.

offy

MIS
Dec 9, 1999
GB
Can any one tell me how to connect to network printers through login scripts.

What are the paths I have to type??

the #3 of the follwoing quotation may help. quoted form
Q: How to setup a network printer for all users on NT/w2k/xp?

A: 1. You can add the printer into a user and then copy the user's profile into the default user. All new logon users will have the same printer settings.
2. If you use NT, you may use net use command to map the printer to LPT#.
3. If you have w2k/xp, you may want to use rundll32 printui.dll,PrintUIEntry command line.

Robert Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
Windows, Network, Internet, VPN, Routing and How to at

Can this be used to set up network printers as well? I am reviewing the documentation from the site, as well as from Microsoft, but am having difficulty getting the command line correct. I think I'm just not getting the command line correct, but then, i'm not that familiar with it either. Here's what I tried, rundll32 printui.dll,printuientry /in /c\\domain\server\printername. Would I have to specifiy the printer driver for a printer that would be recognized by Windows already? I know I'm missing something, can you help me fill in the gaps? I'm a PC technician and am trying to save myself and the other techs alot of trouble of having to visit workstations with 4 different users/profiles to install a new printer. I'd like to push this to our network team to get done with the login scripts.

pcheather@yahoo.com

A real easy way is to just use a KixTart script. This is especially good for a smaller company.

You can download Kixtart from
There is a cool Kixtart editor that can be download from
Within Kixtart, there is a Map Printer command that works on all NT based systems.

-hope this helps..

Joseph L. Poandl
MCSE 2003

If your company is in need of experts to examine technical problems/solutions, please check out (Sales@njcomputernetworks.com)

Hello Everyone.

After much searching etc etc, I found this
Option Explicit
Dim oNetwork, sPrintPath
Set oNetwork = CreateObject("WScript.Network")
sPrintPath = "\\servername\printername"
oNetwork.AddWindowsPrinterConnection sPrintPath
oNetwork.SetDefaultPrinter sPrintPath
Save the above without the *, change the server and printer name and save as a .vbs file. I used a .bat file to run it, used the bat file as a logon script and put both files in the NETLOGON directory. Works for me on Win2k Server & Win2k Pro clients.

Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back