Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Printer Window Pop up after SP2 install, can i get rid of it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jtorrey2

MIS
Feb 3, 2004
US
After I pushed SP2 on the network, everyone has got this annoying printer pop up window that appears. Is there any ways I can prevent that from popping up?
-JT

Everytime I send a print job to a printer, a little windows appears in the bottom right corner of the screen telling you that the print job had sen sent successfully to that printer, and then you have to manually close the pop up window.

Start, Printers and Faxes, File, Server Properties, Advanced.

Now select what if any notifications you want. The bottom box 'Notify me when network documents are printed' is likely the one you want unchecked.

I am not running on a Novell Network. I went to the start>settings>Printers and Faxes...
The isssue here is that there is no "File" on the toolbar. I even right click on it and there is no option for a right click? Is that wierd or what?

Did you mean that this operation needed to be executed from a DC on the network? There I do see the option, I will apply that setting and then see if It works or not.
Thanks..

No, I am implying that you are making a print server property change. This requires administrator priviliges to the print server.

Here is a way you can do it manually. Open notepad and create a file called no_printer_notes.reg and copy/paste the below:

******* start copy/paste below this line
REGEDIT4

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Printers\Settings ]
"EnableBalloonNotificationsRemote"=dword:00000000

******* end copy/paste above this line

Save the file and double-click to merge with your registry. It will take effect on your next reboot, or immediately if you Start, Run, CMD

start /wait sc stop spooler
start /wait sc start spooler

You can push this in user logon scripts with:
regedit /s no_printer_notes.reg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back