Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Printer spits out on its own

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daire

Technical User
Jun 25, 2001
EU
Hi

Recently installed XP (fresh install), but my HP laserjet 4 spits out a page when I power on all - all thats on the page is an "e" with 2 dots over it ( maybe an umlout - dont know how to spell that German word)

How can I stop this happening?

It may be different for the Laserjets, I never worked on them, but I worked for HP tech support, and for the HP Deskjet printers, most of the time when that happened, it was a firmware issue and we would replace the printer.

But like I said, I never worked on Laserjets, so that might not be the problem in this case.

I have XP Pro. The other day my HP6 laserjet started printing on two pages at a time. One page was blank. Then I could not print.

I deleted my HP6 driver. Then downloaded the latest set of printer drivers from MS. I reinstalled my HP 6P printer and now it works perfectly printing like it use to.

My guess is somehow my printer driver became corrupted. Reinstalling/ replacing the old driver fixed the problem.

I would go that route before sending in the printer for repairs. Repairs are quite expensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back