Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

printer sharing and networks problem... 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crowley16

Technical User
Jan 21, 2004
GB
I'm not sure if this is the right forum to post to since I've no idea what the problem is but it's worth a try I guess... :)

there's a printer connected to a computer with a usb cable, and it is set to shared. The computer is connected to the lan.
The printer works find, and so does the computer as far as I can tell...
However, I can't seem to detect the printer from any other computer...

any ideas anyone?

Procrastinate Now!

Did you share it?

Tell us a little more:
. Is Service Pack 2 installed? And in the firewall exceptions made for File and Printer sharing?
. Is another firewall product installed?
. Make and model of the printer; driver release information
. Is the printer defined as Local or Network?

I have had similar problems when the printer is connected to an XP machine. The printer is available to other XP machines but not Win98 machines. Does anyone have any suggestions for this?

I have had these problems pre SP2.

Do you have file and print sharing for microsoft windows enabled?

Did you correctly share the printer and everyone has the proper permissions?

On the machine on which a network share was created for the printer:

I File and Printer Sharing enabled on the Network Connection?

Does your firewall permit the ports required for Netbios traffic to flow? This includes the native XP firewall:
Do all the workstations have an identical Workgroup name, and unique computer names?

Do all users have non-blank and non-empty passwords?

Under the Properties sheet for the Network Connection, TCP/IP, Advanced, WINS tab, is 'use Netbios over TCP/IP' enabled? Do not use the 'Default' setting.

Is your Node Type correct on each Workstation? An Ipconfig /all should show a Node type of Undefined, Broadcast or Hybrid. Any other Node type will not work in a Workgroup.

yes, I have set the printer to shared, and the EVERYONE account has print permissions...

the printer is a Local printer, it's being shared through the computer it's connected to, (i.e. not a network printer so no support from I.T. hence me having to sort it out)

the printer is HP Deskjet 6122

I think it's possible that sp2 has been installed recently, and will definitely give the firewall thing a good going over...

could very well be the sp2 since this printer suddenly stoped accepting network traffic only quite recently, (annoyed I didn't think of it :))

will post back later on progress cos it's friday 16:30 and I really can't be bothered to mess about with it right now...

Procrastinate Now!

You must create in the SP2 firewall an "Exception" for file and printer sharing.

Or, the printer will "disappear."

Bring up the Firewall (use Control Panel, Security Console to do so), Exceptions, and checkmark File and Printer Sharing.

probably easier to just disable the firewall...

we're behind 2 as it is...

Procrastinate Now!

finally, got it working by turning off the firewall, however it did have the Printer/File exception turned on...

So I'm guessing that because the printer is connected by a usb connection, it's being blocked...

anyway, thanks for the help, have a star...

Procrastinate Now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back