Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Printer setup Dialog Pop-up - Excel

Status
Not open for further replies.

ceilingfan83

IS-IT--Management
Aug 1, 2007
US
I have a user that when he opens certain specific excel files he gets a "Printer Setup" pop-up. This window just has a list of installed printers. See it here:

This window has to be closed before the excel program becomes responsive/active. The dialog box responds to clicks, but doesn't do anything. Eventually after trying to close it multiple times, it does close. Next time that file is opened it happens again. Has anyone seen this dialog before? Any suggestions on getting it to stop from popping up? Also this is happening on a Citrix Server, accessed from a thin client. Despite that, only one user is having the problem (not everyone on that Citrix Server). Thanks in advance for your help.

Not seen it before, but it might be something thats been added that Excel is processing at start up.

Check my FAQ: faq68-1371 for additional suggestions of trying to narrow down where the problem might be.

Hi,

Check that there are no inappropriate files in the Excel Startup folder:

Documents&Settings\User\App Data\Microsoft\Excel\XLSTART

or similar.

Good Luck!

Peter Moran

Thanks Hasit, that FAQ is very helpful. I'll try using some of those next time it happens to see if they effect it at all.

Peter, I had checked the XLSTART folder and it was empty. Thanks for the suggestion though!

For any of you having the same problems, though we didn't pinpoint the problem, what we did was a blanket fix. We recreated his Terminal Server (Citrix) account (kinda like reinstalling windows in this case). So far that has resolved the problem.

When/if it happens again, I'll post here again. Please anyone who has seen this before, post your experience of the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back