Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

printer problem 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

georgelost5

IS-IT--Management
Mar 1, 2000
US
I have three network printers setup within sco unix. My problem is ... nothing is printing on printer2 if i send a job to printer2 it goes to printer3

By network printers do you mean they are setup as &quot;remote printers&quot; in SCO with entries in /etc/printcap? If so, check your hosts file and make sure you have the IP addresses correct for each printer. Some print servers only use the IP and although you may have changed the logical name of each in printcap, it may be sending to the wrong place. Make sure when you &quot;ping&quot; each printer, you get a different IP address reported.<br>

lpstat -v &quot;printqueuename&quot; will show you what the device is configured as.

If everything else works from the same que, then you have something munged in the file, or more likely in the requests file.
How about posting the details in a new thread? Somebody looks at this thread starting 11 months ago and they don't look any further.
What does lpstat report? What does the request contain? What is the job number? Ed Fair
efair@atlnet.com

Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply.

Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

How do I install a networked printer under SCO? I have a HP Jet Direct Print Server with IP address, but the printer I have does not appear in the list of printers. What whould I choose as my printer type? Is there a way to increase the list?

Also, I tried adding a Novell print queue to SCO. However, when I print to it, it produces a banner page containing username, filename, queue, server (print server name) and description. Underneath this it also prints in large writing the username and print job number. Where is this coming from? Is it the Novell server producing this or SCO?

Would appreciate any help.

Thanks

To add a HP Jetdirect:
Run Scoadmin - printers - HP network print manager - add a printer to spooler (6). Just follow the questions.
Remember to have a resolver for the hostname you choose. entering the hostname and ip in /etc/hosts is probably the easiest.

run 'lpstat -p' or 'lpstat -t' (without the ') afterwards to see if it's enabled and accepting requests.

print a page using 'lp -d [que] [file]'
where [que] is the name you chose for the printer in scoadmin.

The banner-page you talk of is generated by SCO. I don't understand why it's enabled by default. I always disable it with this command.

/usr/lib/lpadmin -p [que] -onobanner
makes all users print to this printer without the banner page.
/Sören

noticed I didn't answer all you questions...
Is this a laser printer?
If so try adding it as a HPLaserJet (III). Almost all printers can emulate that good old printer.

matris printers can almost always be added as IBM Proprinter.

I don't know how to add printers to the list, but since the HPLaserjet always work, who needs to? /Sören

Thanks for your help nostradamus. However I can still only add one of my printers (HP LaserJet 5). The other 2 lasers HP LaserJet 4050 and 4100 don't seem to work. They appear when I run lpstat, but files I send to print just dissappear. No errors or printouts. Is this wierd.

I also have 3 dot matrix printers connected to another Jetdirect. Panasonic KX P1121 and 2135. I tried the 1121, and it looked OK at first, but as soon as I send a print to it, it gets NAK'd by remote lp.

Also, I still can't get rid of the banner page when I print to a Novell queue. It doesn't appear when I print directly to the printer though.

When using hpnpcfg, how do I specify each of the three ports on the jetdirect? They all belong to the same IP address. Finally, can I add the IP address directly to hpnpcfg? I am doing this since I don't have it in my host list and don't know how to add it.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back