Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PRINTER PROBLEM UNDER WIN2000 !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

tlaakso

Programmer
Mar 13, 2002
ES
I have a Novell Netware and I’m trying to add two new Win2000 SP3 workstations. All my other computers work with Win98. I try to print (as always) to a local impact printer (EPSON LQ-300) connected to LPT1, but under Win2000 I’m having problems. Suddenly it stops printing and after a pause of about 15 seconds (always) it continues. And it doesn´t stop always at the same place. Sometimes I use a dBASE III Plus application to print some reports,… and I have the same problem. Both computers do the same. So I know it’s not a parallel port problem, it’s not my application problem, … Does anyone know if there is a problem printing with MS-DOS under WIN2000 ?
I use Clipper 5.3b and Blinkler 5.10. From my application I just do:
SET DEVICE TO PRINTER
SET CONSOLE OFF
… print …
SET DEVICE TO SCREEN
SET CONSOLE ON

Find all entries in this forum on Win2000 or WinXP and performance problems, the solution is among these.

Most problems disappear if you 'close' the printer-port filehandle...

HTH
TonHu

I agree with TonHu it is most likely needing a SET PRINTER TO to close out the print task and flush the spooler. This assumes you have configured the printer in windows and set it to handle DOS requests.

Another possibility is the printer timeout setting.
See thread started 3/24/01 by ramani #182-66171 in Microsoft:foxpro (versions 1 through 2.6) forum.

If that doesn't do it you can try printing directly to the printer.

Jock

I did search all entries in this forum on Win2000 but no on WinXp. And, there you are. I've found a way to solve it. I just have to execute a RUN command after printing. I don't know why but it works.
Thank's

I recall that there was an even gentlier way to do that, something to with setting the printer to another device (file?), just like JockMullin wrote. That's certainly better than shelling out to DOS, obviously flushing any unflushed printerdata, and returning.
This 'run' solution has the disadvantage of slowness and spurious messages flashing across the screen, disappearing cursors and other unwanted 'features' :-(

HTH
TonHu

I tried the RUN (RUN CLS) after printing but it works only
on WIN2000 or accessing from another WIN2000 machine, if
I run the program from a NT 4.0 Workstation machine, the RUN option do not work, the printer is very slow and stops sometimes, then starts again and so on.
What can I do ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back