Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Printer printing Jibberish on first printing

Status
Not open for further replies.

JamesGalyon

Technical User
Aug 27, 2006
US
Four out of five times when I send a document to my printer from any program on my computer, and it is the first document to print since I turned my printer and computer on, the printer will start printing out non-stop sheets with a single line of "jibberish" characters and symbols across the top of each page. The printer is on the other side of the room, but I can hear this happening. I immediately click on the printer icon on the toolbar and tell it to cancel. Even though the icon dissappears like it is cancelled, it does no good and continues to print. I go to the printer and press the cancel button, and after a few monre copies, it stops, but then I see the incoming data light flashing on the printer. A few seconds later it starts printing more pages with only the one line of Jibberish" and I have to repeat the cancel process or yank out the paper drawer and cause a jam to stop it. I am using Windows 2000 Pro and a HP 5000 printer with a PCL6 driver. Thanks and God bless. James

I am using Windows 2000 Pro. I did a search on my hard drive for "drvwppqt.vxd" and it does not exist anywhere on my computer. Not only does it print "jibberish", but even when I cancel the printing on the computer, and then cancel the job on the printer too, something in the computer still sends the corrupt data to the printer again and again. Once I print a job out to the printer, I can print everything else just fine from that point on. Any other ideas? Thank you. James

Clear the queue.
Then poweroff the printer. It has a large buffer that you need to clear.

. A workstation has an application configured to use Post Script, or the wrong printer driver;

. Microsfot Office applications are configured to use Backgron Printing:
. Faulty cable - surprisingly commong as the explanation.

I haven't had this problem, but I have had some serious mess with printers. In order to narrow down the issue:

-reinstall driver
-try printing to another printer

Since you didn't mention this in your post I'm assuming these weren't tried. If it still screws up.....uninstall your driver, go to:

C:/WINNT/System32/spool/drivers/w32x86/

delete everything in it(there is a file that will not delete, I don't remember which one) then reinstall driver.

If none of these work we will dig deeper.

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back