Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Printer printing awfully slow now

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 9, 2003
US
I have 30 laserjet 4000t printers that use to print pretty fast and now after I updated the drivers to the latest PCL 6 it seems like something is monitoring my printers constantly that it is putting a really bad drag on all my printers. They are printing awfully slow now. Just so you know I went back to the original drivers prior to updating the latest PCL 6 due to numerous problem of client side setting not sticking to the correct settings.

But now even when I am back to the old drivers something maybe a .dll file or something is monitoring or something cause I keep seeing the printers refresh every 2 second when I am in the printers setings. I have deleted the hpmon.dll or something file in the system 32 folder but that did not help. Any help is appreciated.

I have heard of some probs with PCL6 but they were application related.
Delete the 5 and 6 driver, reboot (to be safe) and reinstall just the PCL5. Also dont forget to uninstall the new "tool box" (if installed w/the new driver)

pc.gif

Jomama

Try PCL5e. It has improvement from version 5 but not the headaches of version 6.

I have tried 5e and PCL6 but both are still so slow. It just keeps refreshing constantly and it is slowing all print jobs down.

Even when going into the properties of a printer takes about a good minute or two minutes sometimes just to get into it.

I have done all that I can think of. Asked HP tech support and they have no idea as to why either and also that none of their drivers have any sort of monitoring .dll file in a larger type printer like the 4000t and 8000's only on regular deskjets.

Im stump anyone have any other ideas as to why this is so so so slow when printing. Your help is so greatly appreciate it. I feel so small when I go back to work because of this problem not being fix and can not find anyone that knows what is causing it. :(

Try this Called Clnsys.exe
It will search all of the dll s on your system against theprograms installed. Back up the unused ones and delete.
Incidently, I DL this progy trying to get rid of HPs trash that it leaves behind. Good job
Anther is Taskinfo2000. Gives you a pix of all programs, threads running and cpu usage. It is a good troubleshooting tool.
GL

pc.gif

Jomama

Do you see that "Clean System Directory" program says it is only for programs up to Win 3.1,95,98, not more recent systems?

are the drivers set to print at 1200 dpi...this will cut the print speed by 1/2.. making it 8ppm in 8.5 x 11 paper

There is no setting that will let me see about the dpi. These printers are on the network and within the properties I cannot find anything having to do with dpi's.

Still printing slow. :(

Do a check on the firmware of the JetDirect card. The answer might be there. Install HP´s WebJetAdmin + the download manager program ( & Then you can quickly get an overview of what HP printers in your network that needs a firmware upgrade on their JD cards.

look under printing preferences. machines should be set to fast res not pro res.

hpwizzard - I already have the webjetadmin installed and have all the jetdirect cards firmware updated already.

jtymabel1 - I checked like you said and tried differnt dpi which there aint much to test out. But still no luck. It did help a very and I said very small though.

I have setup myself thru my computer using tcpip ports and it prints freaken fast as heck but when I print it from the other way which is connecting thru the network to the printserver it is slo God I hate networking now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back