Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Printer Preferences dialog box display is chopped off

Status
Not open for further replies.

RBH

Technical User
Mar 18, 2001
US
I'm running an NVIDIA GeForce Ti 4600 128 MB video card, with the latest drivers, and using a SONY GDM-FW900 monitor at 1600x1024.

I have a desktop display problem, which appeared after I attempted to change various system display settings, to hopefully correct a situatuion re the ruler's numeric markings in WP12. I also made changes to other display variables which are provided via right-clicking the desktop, and clicking on Properties>Settings>Advanced. After taking the steps to get the ruler's numbers back in WP12, I did not like the side effects on other displays, so I attempted to return all those settings that I changed, back to normal.

Unfortunately, I must not have restored things properly, as I now have a display problem with several of my printer preference & setting windows where I can control printer activities, and set preferences and settings for print jobs. I've gone through the list of display items that I had played with, but can't seem to correct the problem with those windows.

A large portion of the right side and bottom of many of those printer windows is chopped off, with no way to access the controls that I need to have available.

Strangely, some of my printers seem to have the dialog boxes OK. Others are a mess.

All other activities and displays seem to be exactly where they were before. The only areas that seems to be affected are these printer settings and preferences windows.

Can anyone ofer any suggestions as to where to look, and what settings are messing up things for me. Having this window situation makes it difficult to use the affected printers.

If it were only happening to a single printer, I'd just reinstall the driver. But since it has happened for 4 different printers, I feel it is more likely to be something in XP - but I can't locate what.

Thanks -

Ron Hirsch

I have this problem with my Win2k machine at work. It happened after I accidently deleted some system fonts. I reloaded the fonts but the problem is still there. The only difference is the print windows are large. But in some other apps the controls are cut off. Never found a solution but you may be able to by checking under display properties>Appearance. Changing the Item and font sizes in here can cause this issue. All the default type sizes should be 8.

Thanks for the info. I did have some fonts set at 9, but I changed them all to 8 points. That made no difference.

I also used Windows restore to go back 2 weeks, before I was "playing" around with display items - no difference.

I tried reinstalling drivers - no difference. This is really crazy. Using the 3 printers involved is now very limited, as I don't have access to important control functions.

Aagh!!!!!!!!!

Ron

Actually, after looking through my Display settings (Nvidia MX) I noticed all the menus (Display Timing, Performance etc.) diplay perfectly EXEPT the Desktop Management. I do not admin control of this system but I would try clearing the nvidia drivers and reinstalling fresh ones from Nvidia's site.

Uninstall the drivers from Add/remove
Upon reboot, boot into Safe Mode (F8 during post bootup)
Run the Nvidia Nasty File Remover (search Google for this)
NFR will remove all driver residue.
While in Safe Mode extract the new drivers to a folder.
Reboot and have Windows load the extracted drivers when I asks for them.

The Nividia drivers I'm using are the latest ones from their site, which I downloaded and installed last month.

So, I don't think that would do much for me now, as I have the latest master driver that they provide.

Ron

This thread mentions a Nvidia Driver Cleaner Tool.

choppy slow refreshing windows when they are dragged and moved
thread779-927840

You may like to consider removing everything Nvidia running the tool and then re-installing your current (latest?) drivers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back