Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

printer out of paper error

Status
Not open for further replies.

cspgsl

Technical User
Apr 5, 2002
CA
I have 2 printers. Brother MFC4350 and an HP
DJ695C. Running Win Me on ThinkPad I Series.
When I try to print to either printer the error message comes back out of paper. I'm not. The printers are online. Reinstaling drivers does not work. Deleted LPT1 and reinstalled but no help. Has anyone got a clue, cause I don't. Any suggestions are welcome.
Thanks

I have two cables (1 going to each machine) but I will try it. I'm thinking the only thing left to do is reinstall the OS, but that seems like overkill.

Also, check the BIOS. You might want to change the Lpt1 port type.

I was thinking that I could see if there is a newer BOIS for the machine. Would that be a consideration? I'm not clear when you say "change the Lpt1 port type"

Often in the BIOS you can set the lpt1 type to "Standard", "ECP" "EPP"
Some printers prefer one setting to another, usually ECP is preferred but not always.

If you are using a switch box, be sure that all 25 lines are being passed. The out of paper condition is a signal line, which is why I suggested a possible cable issue. Not that many current printers will require the use of a true bi-directional cable, and will not work properly with the older style cables.

See:

I'll give this a try but won't be able to report back until later this morning.
Thanks

That did it. I changed the port to an ECP setting and the Borther works. The Deskjet on the other hand still won't. I can get by on this one for the moment. I also think the ink might be low or out as well. which i shall check on my other computer.
Thanks.

I'm back... unfortunately. Printer worked fine for a week but I'm experienceing a new problem, printer is now timing out. I set the timeout on the printer to 30 sec but still times out.
Anyone that can prevent me from doing a reinstall of the O/S would go to the head of the class.
Thanks

Select to spool the file rather than print directly to the printer.

I'll check in the a.m. and report back, thanks.

The printer is set to spool.
Changed to direct and tried and then back. Still no good.

Funny. I'm having same problem with the printer port on LPT1 as well. Just wondered what you finally did?

I have tentatively determined that it is the actual printer port on the computer but I can't be certain. The computer is a ThinkPad and I also have a USB to Parallel / Serial converter which I am now using to connect to the printer however, I can't always get it to print here eitehr. I think it's possessed and I'm about to give the TP to my daughter and buy another one.
Would be pleased to hear if you find a solution as I have not been able to.
THX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back