Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Printer Off Line

Status
Not open for further replies.

drpine

IS-IT--Management
Jun 3, 2003
US
I am running an HP LaserJet 4100dtn printer using a an HP LaserJet 4SI MX driver on a Windows 2000 network. Every so often one of my users will print something where the printer prompts them to hit the GO button to print. If the user gets up then and hits the GO button, everything is fine. If the user sends additional print jobs before hitting the GO button, the printer will print the first job, then show itself as Offline when viewed under the printers folder. The printer itself looks fine. Nothing I have tried will set the printer back to Online. There seems to be some sort of time out involved, because after some time the printer will just kick back in and start printing again. Any ideas on how to stop it from going to offline status, or set it back to online?

Either something in the printjob send contains an offending command or the printer runs out of the paper specified from the software to print on. Try correcting this by setting Autocontinue=On and also set up the paper correctly in the Paperhandling menu defining both papersize and type. But why use a LJ 4SI MX driver at all when the LJ 4100 pcl 5e will probably work ? [neutral]

We use the 4SI MX driver because our vendor tells us it is necessary to print the detail we need in our forms.
Autocontinue=On is already there, and paper size and types are also already set up.
%-)

Sounds like the users send jobs with unsupported papersize.
Go into the menu of the printer and set override letter/a4 to on

Also check what exactly stands in the display when this problem happends.

Kind regards Pysj`n

The override setting is located in the Printing Menu

Kind regards Pysj`n

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back