Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Printer Notifications

Status
Not open for further replies.

Geates

Programmer
Aug 25, 2009
US
Hi all,

I'm posting here because I've tried everything I can think of but can't seem to turn ON printer notifications

It is in our standard image to disable printer notifications for everyone. However, one specific user wants them turned on for one specific printer. She used to get notifications until a couple weeks ago when it disappeared.

I've "turned on" all of the reg keys that I know relate to printer notifications. I've enabled printer notifications on the server print queue (2008 R2 print server). I've installed the printer locally using TCP/IP and enabled notifications. Still, no notifications!

Interestingly, she gets notifications for everything else (windows updates, citrix, etc.) except printers. The same is true when I (admin) logon to her machine. This tells me that the setting I'm missing is not profile-specific but computer specific.

Can anyone think of something I may have missed?

-Geates

"I hope I can feel and see the change - stop the bleed inside a feel again. Cut the chain of lies you've been feeding my veins; I've got nothing to say to you!"
-Infected Mushroom

"I do not offer answers, only considerations."
- Geates's Disclaimer

Is there an application like Microsoft Office Word that is at play here? Maybe some setting in there?

These are Windows 7 related but see if you get any clues from them.

Disable print job notifications
thread1726-1596466

How to prevent prining of status report each time?
thread1726-1591506

She has XPSP2, I'll see if SP3 does the trick. I'll also look into the word settings. In the past, word documents have contained invalid printer settings that have caused issues.

The print jobs do originate from word but not even test pages or notepad print jobs produce the bubble.

-Geates

"I hope I can feel and see the change - stop the bleed inside a feel again. Cut the chain of lies you've been feeding my veins; I've got nothing to say to you!"
-Infected Mushroom

- Geates's Disclaimer

Wow SP3 didn't work. Office printing tweaks didn't work. Disabling Advanced feature on the print queue did work... why is the illogical sometimes the answer? (rhetorical)

-Geates

-Infected Mushroom

- Geates's Disclaimer

Here is how we turn off printer notifications at work...maybe this can help point you in the right direction. This is for network printer.

Click on Start
Click on settings
Click on Printers and Faxes
Click on File
Click on Server Properties
Click on the Advanced Tab
There is an item "Show information notifications for network printers". If you want the notifications, place a check in the box, if you want to turn off notifications, remove the check.
Click on Apply.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back