Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Printer not seen on the laptop runn

Status
Not open for further replies.

skully57

Technical User
Feb 17, 2003
GB
Printer not seen on the laptop running xp home but is visable on the other three units running 98se on a peer to peer network using a hub also when i connected a laptop running Win Me i could not see the printer here?

Couple of things you should check:

1. Is the laptop using the same workgroup name as the other desktop PCs?

2. Do you have File and printer sharing enabled on the laptop? If so, what network protocol are you using on the XP machine? Win9x usually installs wither NETBEUI or IPX/SPX for file and printer sharing and XP wants to use TCP/IP. These two protocols are not compatible. You may want to try installing NETBEUI on the WIN XP laptop as well and see if this allows you to see the other systems.

3. Finally, I assume you installed the printer as a network printer to the laptop?

It is in the same workgroup
File and print sharing is enabled the
The printer is installed as a network printer
I will double check the protocols

The laptop can see the two other printers as well as the other pcs, it just does not see the one printer. Which is connected to the one peer which is use as a server with the two more printers connected to it.
It did see the printer when i uninstalled the printer restarted installed a new network printer, but when i restarted the machine again to confirm the latop could not see the epson c1000 which is connected to the server peer via usb. Also when i used a laptop runnig Win Me it could not see the epson printer but could see the other nodes ?

Check all machines start with the same IP naming convection ie 192.168.5.1, 192.168.5.X, etc. Again check the workgroup name is the same on all machines. Try creating a new share name on the machine which has the printer directly connected or via a hub. Make sure sharing enables all machine to access the shared resource. Try pinging the machine that the printer is connected to, does it ping? If it pings go to Start Menu, Run and type in \\<computer name> where computer name is the name of the machine making sure you have shared before hand. Good luck :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back