Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Printer loses communicaions with PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

yalamo

Technical User
Sep 22, 2002
IL
I have an HP720c printer, and Win98SE.
Usually, everything works fine, but every now and then, in the middle of printing, I get an error message that says something like "The printer has lost communications with the computer". I usually cancel the print, shut off the printer, then turn it on again, and it will most times work. Sometimes I find I have to reboot.

I have noticed that the problem happens mainly (but not always) when I am printing a photo at the highest printer resolution (and large picture memory). This is especially annoying since the photo paper is expensive, and the printing takes a long time.

Does anyone know what the problm is? I don't think it's memory because I have 256MB, nor resources, since the only application running is either Word or Paint Shop Pro. Could it be the printer port? How do I tell? Or is some buffer being overrun or underrun? Are there any computer or BIOS settings that can solve the problem? HP hasn't been able to offer much help.

Can you set the printer port to ECP in BIOS and then use a bi-directional cable?

bcastner, thanks for your reply. (I would have gotten back to you sooner, but tek-tips.com was unreachable here, maybe because of the blackout?)

Unfortunately, I can't try your fix. I have a bidirectional cable (and communications with the printer, until it stops, is bidirectional) but I am not using the parallel port on the motherboard. This port went bad a few months ago, and I had a PCI/IO card with a parallel port installed. This may be part of the problem, but I don't see anywhere in the BIOS setup for peripherals where I can make an ECP setting. Anyone know what to do now?

On that kind of pci cards there usualy are dip-switches or jumpers where you can set the card in ecp or epp mode.

Have you updated to the latest driverversion?

Often these boards have a jumper to determine the setting of the port type. Look carefully at the silk screening on the board to see if a jumper setting instruction is imprinted on the board itself.

It is possible there is a website for the board.

You should also see if there are options in Device Manager.

As a side note. Try disabling bi-directional printing option in the printer driver. It is usually a checkbox in the advanced features of the driver.

As it is an HP printer, use the menu configuration on the printer itself to set its I/O option to disable bi-directional communications.

Thanks, guys, for the help.

As far as I can tell, there are no switches or jumpers on this board. The (very brief) users' manual does not mention them, nor does the web site. I still haven't opened the computer and pulled the card to fully check, but I will when I have the time.

I disabled bi-directional printing, and what do you know, a picture that stopped in the middle a couple of weeks ago printed completely this time! It's not a certain fix, since the problem occurred randomly previously, but it's encouraging.

By the way, how does disabling bi-directional printing reduce capability? What will I be missing if the PC doesn't know what's happening in the printer?

As for getting a new printer, I've had this one for 5 years. I don't see why a printer shouldn't last much longer than that, and I don't want to encourage manufacturers to produce obsoloescent printers, and add to waste,

Try a communication test between you printer
and computer from your printer toolbox under
programs. If this does'nt work try a new cable.
Sometimes they just go bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back