Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

printer is intialising but not printing

Status
Not open for further replies.

shirdisai

Technical User
Nov 7, 2003
IN
my printer is typical problem, when the system is on the printer is intiaized,ie the movement of head, when i given the print command . in system ,it is showing as printing in the printer properties, but it is not really printing ( head is not moving), i checked the printer cable, it is working, any suugestions are highly appericiated

Check your cables and connections between the pc and the printer.

Hi shirdisai,

What type of printer do you have? All printers (typically) have self test ability. For some it is holding down the resume, or holding down the power button and then pressing the resume button X amount of times.

There are a few possibilities here.

1. The printer could have a fault.

2. The cable could be the issue (though rare, it can happen)

3. The port on your computer could have a fault (also rare, but it can happen)

4. The printer might not be properly configured in windows (I'm assuming it is windows).

What we really need is some more information, such as the type of printer as well as what version of windows and how the printer is connected to it (parallel or USB). In XP parallel printer can be a problem. A lot of the time the parallel ports in XP need a few settings changed on them. The first thing which should be checked for (in the parallel port properties) is "Use any interrupt" another thing which should be selected is "Legacy Plug and Play".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back