Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Printer installation issues....

Status
Not open for further replies.

projector1

Technical User
Mar 18, 2004
GB
We have a Windows 2000 server and a number of HP Laserjet 2300n printers with Jetdirect cards.

My colleague has installed one of these printers with no problems but i have come to install a second printer and i get the error message

"Unable to install printer. Operation cannot be completed"

I have tried installing the printer via the standard "Add Printer" and also via the HP software that came with the printers. Neither of these methods has worked. My initial idea was to install the printer locally and then amend the port to point to the IP of the network printer.

Could it be that i have an identical printer already installed on the system?

Yeah, make sure you are selecting "Local Printer" with autodetect off. Then you can create a new port and map it to the IP address.

~cdogg
[tab]"All paid jobs absorb and degrade the mind";
[tab][tab]- Aristotle
[tab][navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

No problem!
[thumbsup2]

~cdogg
[tab][tab]- Aristotle
[tab][navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

cdogg...

Would your solution work for my problem? I posted under the LinkSys forum, but in a nutshell, I can't find my JetDirect print server's IP address.

Mike

Not sure. I don't mess with a lot of printer mappings, but it's worth a shot. Of course, you'll need the Jetdirect software and drivers installed locally on the system. It might be a bit more complicated when trying to map to a print server as opposed to the printer itself.

~cdogg
[tab][tab]- Aristotle

Do away with the jetdirect card install a NIC and configure it on the server ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back