Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Printer Driver Win 200 Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.

GriffMG

Programmer
Mar 4, 2002
FR
Hi All,

I am sure this has been asked before (even by me?)...
Client has machines running Win 2000 Pro. Networked printers all round, all clients running VFP 6 application.

One machine (so far as I can tell) is unable to print from the application - as soon as he clicks on the printer button from the preview window he gets the 'error loading printer driver' message. He is just using his default printer setting - if he selects the printer before running a report straight to the printer he gets the same message.

Works fine on the other 5/6 workstations.

Any clues

Griff Regards

Griff
Keep [Smile]ing

Try deleting the printer on his workstation and reinstalling it. Also, make sure it is named the same as all the rest of them. Failing that, see if hacking the report file helps any. See faq184-581 for details.

Ian

Ian,

You are on the ball as they say!

The hack is already in place - the report is compiled into the exe and I routinely strip out the driver stuff before building. Thank you though.

I will, however, suggest to the user that he gets his IT people to uninstall and reinstall the driver... I had a thought that it could be a 'windows being clever' and not putting the driver on his machine (i.e. it might be remote on the server) and it not being loadable...

Many thanks

Griff

Regards

Griff
Keep [Smile]ing

Heh...I've been lucky, so far. I've never had to actually *distribute* a program before. All of my development has been for in-house computers, all using the same network printer.

My trial is coming soon, though...I hope I've learned enough from this forum to make my first nationwide launch go painlessly. :eek:)

Ian

Ian,

In house devs do leave you insulated from the horrors of the real world to some extent... printer drivers are far from the end of it. This app was written for a co. that I work with quite a bit, a rush job because someone had sat on it for a while. The users have not internet access, and their machines do not belong to my client - they belong to his client, and are installed on his clients network with the installation and update of software only doable by his clients IT people... who have been outsourced and know diddly about the site... it's rarely easy.

The only assumption I have found to be universally true (thus far) is that most workstations have a c: drive - or at least pretend to!

Good luck with your roll-out

Thanks again.

Griff Regards

Griff
Keep [Smile]ing

Had the same thing happen here when the department got new win 2000 machines. Updated VFP from SP3 to SP5 and the problem went away.

Chris

THAT HAS TO BE WORTH A TRY... my vfp 6 is at SP3...

Ta
Griff Regards

Griff
Keep [Smile]ing

Hi Griff, I also had some similar problems and Rick gave me links on Microsoft that talk about this problem.

I test the solution and it works. I Follow these steps:
1. Into the Computer that have the printer connected I erase all spaces to the name.
2. Delete the printer in my computer.
3. Add New Printer with the new name into my computer.
4. Tried to print and it works.

The problem is you need to create the New Printer in all the computers connected to this printer(Share).

All our Operating System installed is Windows 2000 SP2.

Check out - "BUG: "Error loading printer driver" with Space in Printer Name (Q287650)"

OR

- "BUG: Printing to a Non-Default Printer May Cause an Error (Q253884)".

I Hope these Links solve your problem.

Best Regards from Panama,

Marlon

Thank you TWSA

Trouble is machines are not mine to mess with in this way, technically they're not even my clients, or even his I suppose - they are maintained by my clients', clients' outsourcer (phew) and thus the ability to mess with the printer name is outwith my scope. However, I have checked and no spaces are used, and the printer IS the default on all workstations and it is not actually connected to any of them - but is directly network connected to (I think) a netware print queue...

Still I'll get the Service Pack tomorrow.

THANK YOU ALL AGAIN

Griff Regards

Griff
Keep [Smile]ing

Hi all!

I work in a Win2000-Novell environment and encountered the same problem. The applications are in fact .EXE, all run from a MAIN.EXE file. I had the same message 'error loading printer driver' but the reason was the printer was not assigned as shared to that particular user. The printer should have been "Win2000-shared" by the owner of the printer. (At the end, it didn't have anything to do with Novell at al). I would also like to add that I didn't have SP5 installed.

Rianeiro.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back