Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Printer defaults

Status
Not open for further replies.

imstuck

MIS
Sep 27, 2000
US
Can someone explain how printer settings are saved in Office? More specifically, printer trays. We have a HP 4+ Laser printer with 2 paper drawers, an envelope feeder and a flip down multi-purpose tray. We have plain white paper in one drawer and letterhead in another. If I want certain documents to go to letterhead and others to go to the white paper drawer, where do I set that so that it is saved? Is the setting saved with the document? Just when I think I have figured it out, the setting is lost for the next print job--

Help! Thanks--

Lets try to get 'unstuck'... You have a default tray that can be set under Windows/Printer settings. If your document does not specify a paper tray, it comes from here. In Word, for example, select File/Page Setup, then third tab (Paper Source) to override the default printer settings in a document. You can chose Letterhead for the first page, then plain white for all subsequent pages. It is saved with document. You can save these settings in normal.dot for application global settings, I believe. Lastly, you can specify in the Envelope settings area "Options/Printing Options" where envelopes are fed from, too.
I hope this helps, and also is accurate in all versions, I have 2000.

I am also having problems.....I am trying to get the envelope print options to hold the "auto select" choice. Every time I try to print an envelope it has to be changed to "auto select" from "man. envelope"....other machines running office automatically remember the last jobs stepup changes....help???...i have installed the latest service pack...no help there..

After several test pages, I believe I have mastered the printer defaults for the paper trays on our 95/98 systems, but our one NT system is driving me nuts while using Outlook! I have set the "document defaults" by right clicking on the printer and choosing the correct tray. In Outlook, I can not print emails to the correct tray, unless I go into each email, then under page setup, and choose the paper tray. If I hit the default button, it asks me if I want to change the settings for future emails and I say yes, but it does not stay changed. New emails default to an incorrect paper tray and I cannot figure out where that default setting is!!! The other Office products are working fine. Where does Outlook grab the default printer tray from on an NT system??

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back