Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Printer cleaning 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

JunglesMcBeef

Programmer
Sep 18, 2003
G'day,

I want to clean my dot matrix printer, but I'm not too sure how to go about it. Does anyone know what parts of the printer would be most important to clean and what sort of cleaning agents are best for this?

Thanks

Get the loose paper dust out with a vac. Clean out the tear strip remnents from the platen area. Make sure the head transport is not binding from gunk on the rails. Lube with light oil if bronze bearings. Check the ribbon feed.

Every model has quirks. Mostly you let it run until the weak link fails.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

Don't lube plastic bearings or the shafts as they are self lubricating (unless worn out). The matrix head can be cleaned with IPA (or whatever subsitute RS components are selling these days). Be careful of some of the sprays as when sprayed on plastic casing can cause surface melting & stickness. Personally I'd use IPA on internal, external & rollers (not foam) due to its evaportation & lack of residue left.

In hunting for repair info on HP Deskjets which have rubber paper feed rollers that can glaze over, I think I've seen cautions against using alcohol to clean them - the idea being that in the longer term the alcohol will contribute to the hardening and glazing of the roller. Some type of rubber rejuvenator was a recommended solution - at least for those particular rollers.

"The best optimizer is between your ears."
M. Abrash

Actually, if thats the case I think I might definitely use alcohol. Might give management a reason to think about getting a decent laser printer!! ;)

Fedron is a rubber rejuvenator but alas it will turn your brain to peanut butter. WD40 will work also, but dont spray directly on the roller, spray a lint free rag a use that.
It is true that alcohol will dry out the rollers.
Sometimes it is best to just clean with a soapy cloth and finish with a clean damp rag. It is the paper dust that gets into the pores of the tires that cause slipping.
P.S. Dont tell management.

pc.gif

Jomama

Howdy,

I realize that this is an old post, but listen up!

Use MARTIN YALE ROLLER CLEANER! It costs, but it's worth it.

junglesmcbeef
Christmas is coming, maybe a copy of The Christmas Carol with a sticky note on the last page "mcbeef needs a new laser printer" would get the desired Christmas present.

jomama46

msds martin yale rubber roller cleaner.

Ive not used this product, but it looks like I may have been risking my health cleaning my printers all these years
I've been a little light on the 1)chemical resistant gloves, 2)Chemical safety glasses, and 3)impervious clothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back