Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

printer and client drive mappings not always working

Status
Not open for further replies.

rpetrinc

Technical User
Sep 18, 2003
CA
I am having intermittent problems with a some MF servers. They are running Windows NT 4.0 TS, with Citrix MF 1.0 XPe with FR1. There are two servers in the farm.

For some reason, and I don't know why. User's will not always get their printer and client drives mapped. I am sometimes able to get around this by stopping and restarting the spooler service. But this workaround doesn't always work now. I then tried to stop and restart the IMA service. It will stop fine, but i won't restart. Thus leaving me no choice but reboot the box. I tried installing service plus to fix this, but that didn't work either. The strange thing is when I stop and start the spooler service not only does it fix my network client printer, but my client drives also show up. What does the spooler service had to do with client drive mappings?

I checked the Citrix knowledge base for possible fixes and went through the article CTX681954-Steps to Ensure that Client Printers Autocreate With ICA Sessions. Everything is setup correctly.

There is no clue's in the event log why this is happening.

Does anyone have any ideas?

One thing to look for is in your logon script. If it has anything like this in it

@echo off
net use * /delete /yes

This removes the usermapped drives and then proceeds with the script.

Robert

In NT4TSE the print spooler often crashes and when in this state, if a user logs in their printers won't be mapped. When you reset the spooler, their printers won't appear because when they logged in, they weren't mapped.

This is usually due to incompatible printers drivers on your system, you need to find it and remove that one (hard job that one!)

As for your drives, does the CDM process crash, you'll see that in the event log, if so, that's why your drives don't appear. You can check for this in your login script and then map them manually!

Cheers,
Carl.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back