Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

print/view problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

rickesilaw

Programmer
Jun 24, 2002
CA
We have a client with a 1200 page report! They can view it but when they try to print - Fatal exception 000005 error. Any suggestions?

Sometimes 3rd party printer drivers can cause a C5 error, which is what I would guess is happening here since the C5 only happens when the user prints. I would suggest uninstalling the print driver and installing the latest and greatest printer driver from the manufacturer (such as HP, Panasonic, or whatever). Sometimes there are different ones available for a particular model of printer. I have found that a plain old post-script driver works best if it is available.

boyd.gif

[sub]craig1442@mchsi.com[/sub][sup]
"Whom computers would destroy, they must first drive mad." - Anon​
[/sup]

Hi Craig - I think they tried that - it prints ok with 450 pages!!

What is the make and model of the printer so I can go get the driver...also what is the user's OS? When you say 450 pages, is that an arbitrary lesser number of pages or does the C5 start to appear when the user prints 451 pages or more? Lastly, on most printer property pages (go into printers area and right-click the printer icon and left-click on properties) you can tell it to "print directly to the printer" (no spooling) and you can also set the Printer Processor and the Default data type. I would definately try changing those setting. It may be a spooling issue, and if so telling it to print directly to the printer may be a work-around.

boyd.gif

[sub]craig1442@mchsi.com[/sub][sup]
"Whom computers would destroy, they must first drive mad." - Anon​
[/sup]

You may try stripping the header info out the report if you have not do so.

How to hack FRX file to strip printer driver information faq184-581

Also, a bad resource file could cause problems. Back it up, then delete it. Restart VFP to recreate it.

To find out the name of the current resource file:
? SYS(2005)

Jim Osieczonek
Delta Business Group, LLC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back