Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Print VBA declared variable from Dlookup on form load on Report

Status
Not open for further replies.

lacasa

MIS
Jan 16, 2003
US
I have a report calculate total wages based on hours * hourly rate. The rate is kept in a table. I grab the rate using Dlookup. The same rate is used throughout all the calculations - only the hours change. So I figured it would be wise to assign the rate to a variable on form load to save on muliple Dlookup calculations (over 200).

Option Compare Database
'Declare the bill rate
Dim RespiteRate1 As Currency

Private Sub Report_Load()

'Assign values from Rate table
RespiteRate1 = DLookup("[Rate]", "[Rates]", "[RateCategory]= 'Respite'")

MsgBox RespiteRate1

End Sub

I added the message box just to see if it really is grabbing the rate and it is. I just can't seem to get it to print on the same report that loaded. I assign a value of =[RespiteRate1] to a text box on the form and I get nothing.

Probably is a scope problem, but I have played with various locations for the variable declaration.

I know this should be simple, but I guess not for me.

If all you are trying to do is view on the report, change the field from text to lablel and set .Caption = RespiteRate1.

lbigk

Thanks. I should have been more clear.

I also want to use this in the calcuation hours * RespiteRate1. I pull hours directly from the Report query.

OK, I think the simplest way would be to declare RespiteRate1 as a Global value and in the report query have a field with calculation Wages:[hours] * RespiteRate1

I put a label on the report and set the caption value as =RespiteRate1 but did not get teh value only "=RespiteRate1". I tried variations without success.

I tried to declare

Global RespiteRate1 As Currency

but it still did not work. I tried it in several locations. Where do you declare a Global variable to be used on a form?

I think I figured this out. I used the VBA code to assign the variable value to a text box on the form and then used this text box in my form calculations. So I guess that although the VBA interface is opened through my Access Project they don't communicate unless you code them to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back