Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Print to Windows 2000 Pro from XP Home (Peer-to-Peer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AcquisitiveOne

Technical User
Nov 28, 2000
US
I have a small home network (P2P) with a Windows 2000 Pro CPU and a Windows XP Home CPU. When I try to connect to an HP Printer that is shared on the Windows 2000 Professional Computer from the Windows XP Home Computer it will not allow me to use the printer. If I browse through network neighborhood and connect to the 2K Pro CPU, it will ask me for credentials. I enter in the admin user name and password for the 2K Pro computer and it lets me access and print to the printer. I can print until I reboot the system at which time I must access the printer share and provide credentials through network neighborhood before I can use the printer again. Okay I understand that a user name and password need to be the same on both computers in order to access the shares seemlessly (because of the local SAM). I have done this before but for some reason it will not take. I have set up a user named toons on the 2k Pro computer with a password. In Windows XP home you must use the users and passwords applet to set up users. There is only one user named toons on the XP Home computer with the same password as the 2k Pro. Still from the XP Home I cannot use the 2k Pro printer. Funny thing about it is that if I go to network neighborhood, browse to the 2k Pro CPU, it will prompt me for credentials as before, but now if I use the toons account and password (the same as the one I used to login to the XP Home Machine) it will allow me to connect to the printer. Once again the printer will work until reboot. I dont understand why Windows XP Home is not automatically presenting to the Windows 2K Pro computer the logon information that I used to log on the XP home machine. This should allow me to seamlessly connect to the Windows 2K Printer. What am I doing wrong. The only thing I can think of is that one is the Pro version and that one is the Home. Maybe the Home does not present any authentication as it is not meant to be as secure as the Pro version is? Any suggestions will help.

Acquisitive_One, MCSA, A+

Acquisitive - 1. Characterized by a strong desire to gain and possess. 2. Tending to acquire and retain ideas or information :)

XP Pro would not prompt, but the Stored Username and Password feature is missing in XP Home.

Thanks bcastner you confirmed what I was already thinking. Coming from you I'm sure my guess was correct. So I guess I'm pretty much stuck out of luck.

Acquisitive - 1. Characterized by a strong desire to gain and possess. 2. Tending to acquire and retain ideas or information :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back