Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Print to two printers at the same time

Status
Not open for further replies.

catty1160

Technical User
Mar 10, 2003
US

Hi,

I am doing a small job which the user requests to click on one print button, two of the printers connecting to the computer will print out the same report simultaneously.
The two printers are about 60 feet away. The user will only want to click on one button ("Print"). He does not like to go to control panel to switch between printers. What kind of network setting, or code (I use VB), whatever I can use to achieve this?

An alternative he can accept is this: the screen has two buttons, one to printer1, one to printer2. He won't mind to click on printer1 button, then printer2 button to get out the report in two printers. However, he does not want to use manual 2-way switer(connecting to computer), or go to control panel to switch the printer. My problem is that I can only set up one default printer in the control panel now (Window 2000 or XP).

Any advices are appreciated.

Catty

I don't know how the network would relate to this, but if you want vb code to control printer settings, there is a db on the microsoft site.

Look up printer settings there. It shows you how to set a printer via code.

I use stored printer settings on my db to print to any selected printer from the app itself rather then the "file--->printer settings" style menu bar.

It takes a bit of time to set up, but once you do, you can apply it to any db you build.

If you can't find the db, let me know.

Mark P.

Bleh

Hi, Mark:

Your point is complete right and that is what I like. I searched in microsoft site (by "Printer setting"), I got hundres of them, but did not knowwhich one is good to my need. Can you supply the db more specifically, or you have any sample setting for printers setup that I can play around? Thanks a lot.

Catty

create two reports and on the 2nd reports page setup page tab set to use specific printer and select the printer you want
in the on click event of your command button
docmd.openreport "report1"
docmd.openreport "report2"

Hi, Pwise:

Good tips. Thank you very much.

Hopefully, Mark will come back soon. I like to try his way too.

Catty

thanks tcsbiz,

There's a more complete discussion at the below posted address. There's a variety of options and code in the db. It will help you pull all the avalible printers into a access form, change layout, printer range and simple enough, output amount. Download it and see.

What I would do in your situtation, Cathy, is to create a table that stores the printer names, then if he needs to change a printer or computer in the future, there won't be more of a hassle then changing the printername in the db. Actually, that is what I do. It works well. Only time there is a problem is when someone forgets that they don't have a printer that has been disconeected or is offline; so they get an error and then say to me, "what's wrong with your application?"

good luck.

Mark P.

Bleh

Oh, hey shoot. I forgot an important question, what version of access are you using. it might not work if its not 2000, or you might have to do some adjusting.

Sorry about that.

Mark P.

Bleh

Thanks, Mark and Tom.

For Mark: I use Access 2002 (XP). Are there any problems with 2002?

I will try to figure out. I may have problems, please don't mind if I come back to you.

Catty

Catty,

No, XP is actually required in order to use what I was suggesting. I was just feeling stupid for not asking your version earlier, because my suggestion would have been useless if you were using any earlier version.

Good luck.

Mark P.

Bleh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back