Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Print Tiling & Sheet Size

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaulaKate

Technical User
Mar 6, 2002
US
I am attempting to print a publication on an ARCH B (landscape / 12H"x18W") paper but can not stop the application from tiling the output. I have already been successful at printing a document on a portrait/18H"x12W" paper size to a plotter that uses a 36" paper roll; no problems. However after creating the same custom paper size as LS, I am unable to get an output that is not tiled. Both are custom paper sizes.

What I have found is that the sheet size keeps rolling back to letter size. I have gone in and reset the paper size so that I the printable area as 18 X 12, less the margin widths, select okay and exit. However, when I go straight away to print preview I still see tiling, sometimes 2 pages, other times 4 pages.

I also tried a restart on a new blank document. I selected the plotter as the printer, set the papersize, set the printable area size and then opened the print preview for the new blank page. Still tiling. Does anyone know what might be going on? Thanks

Hi PaulaKate

I think you can most probably sort out the unwanted tiling issue that you are getting via the Print Set-up options menu, File > Print set-up > Publication and Paper Setting tab.
In the More print options area should be a Print a single tile check box which you should check and then preview again.
(I work in both 2003 and 2007 versions but I am only referencing 2007 at the moment - if you are using a different version the layout maybe slightly different but it should still be there somewhere. )

Also, check the paper size selected in this option box, to make sure that it is pointing to the correct paper. If it is not shown in the drop-down selection then select Custom or Postscript Custom Page size options. Then to define the paper dimensions I think you will have to do this via the Properties button next to the Printer name field > Paper Quality tab > Advanced... button > Edit Custom Page button. My home printer wont take larger custom paper so my suggestions here I am not able to test right through for you I'm afraid but I am reasonably certain that this is where you should go to resolve the issue that you are having.

If after this it is still not working then feel free to advise back and we will see what else it might be.

Regards

Makonz

Hi Makonz,
Thank you for your reply. To be honest, I am both happy and confused. I followed your instructions and the document printed as a single tile; this is the happy part. The confused part has to do with the fact that I had been through every menu having any possible association with printing and page setups before posting this thread. I am fairly certain that I tried this configuration, too, as it seems to be the most logical and direct route, but perhaps I am mistaken.

On my previous attempts, sometimes the single tile check box was available for use, other times, it was grayed out. There was nothing that I did that resulted in a single tile output. Interestingly, after following the steps you outlined, I click on the Print Preview button from within the Print Setup Menu. This Preview show the publication printing to a single tile. However when I exited the Print Setup window and then select File>Print Preview from the Menu Bar, the Preview showed the output split between two tiles. I saw this same discontunity last week, too. So, when I sent the document to print, I was fully expected the document to print to multiple pages/tiles. For some reason it printed to a single tile. I find this bewildering. Only guessing, perhaps two different print drivers are being called by the two different Print Preview procedures. Any further insight/clarification provided would be appreciated.

Your instructions are now filed away for future reference.
Many Thanks,
PaulaKate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back