Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Print through printer connect to Win98

Status
Not open for further replies.

jackietpy

Technical User
Dec 21, 2003
MY
Hi,

I have Win98 manchine which attached with Epson dotmtrix printer. I need to connect to 17 branches with the dial up modem. All the branches is using SCO OpenServer. I'm using TinyTerm to connect to the remote SCO server. The Win98 can get connected to the SCO server in the all branches. My problem now is once I get connected to the SCO server. I would like to do the printing via printer attached to the Win 98. When I issue the print command like lp -d<printer attched the Win 98> filename. I can see the print job is in the spooler but not printed out to my Win98 printer.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thank you

JK

Try using:

#
# Start Script
#
case $TERM in
wy*)
echo &quot;\033d#\c&quot;
for file in $*
do
cat &quot;$file&quot; 2>&1
echo &quot;\f\c&quot;
done
echo &quot;\024&quot;
echo &quot;Printing complete.&quot;;;

ansi*)
echo &quot;\033[5i&quot;
for file in $*
do
cat &quot;$file&quot; 2>&1
echo &quot;\f\c&quot;
done
echo &quot;\033[4i&quot;
echo &quot;Printing complete.&quot;;;
esac

#
# End script
#

You need to open your printer port (turn it on if you will) and send file to standard out. Once file is sent, turn port off or close it.

This worked for me some years ago. Hope this helps!

Regards;

Jose Lerebours

PS: One sure way to get it to work is using FacetWin passthrough printing tools and or SAMBA.

KNOWLEDGE: Something you can give away endlessly and gain more of it in the process! - Jose Lerebours

Are you an administrator for the SCO machines trying to set up terminal printing, or are you just an end user trying to get the terminal printing working with your terminal software?

In order to do what you ask, the SCO machines have to be configured to send the print jobs to your dialup connection. How this works is the print spooler temporarily takes over the port you are connected through and sends a special code which tells the terminal software it is sending a print job, then it spools the print job over the port, then it returns control of the port back to normal processes.

Have the SCO machines already been set up to do this? My guess is they have not since the jobs are getting to the spooler but not to your computer.

See thread58-481117 for info on setting up terminal passthrough printing, which is what you are needing.

Repost if you need any more help.

I would think Samba would be a way to define the printer, so you can print.

to cdlvj:

Samba only works for network printing. This is over a dialup modem, so it needs to be done with terminal passthrough printing.

Sorry, read the post, that the printer was sitting on your Win98 client.

Hi,

I tried the script file by Apeasecpc in the Thread58-81117, somehow the printing appear on the screen only. I tested on both Win98 and Wyse terminal with vt100 emulation.

I also tried the script file posted by Thwalker (see thread58-530596). When I issue command lp -d<printer name> <filename>, I can see the job-id is in the lpstat -t but nothing printed out. How do I know the job
is send to my Win98 printer. When I used the command lprint -d<printer name> <filename>, I can see the report appear on the screen.

JK

The fact that you got the print job on your terminal screen using my script is a good sign because that means that the spooler is actually spooling the job to the terminal.

The problem is probably that you are using the wrong enable and disable strings. My script was written for VT-320 emulation. If you are using something different you need to change the penable and pdisable strings to what is required for the emulation you are using.

Another possibility is that your terminal software needs to be configured to send passthrough printing to your attached printer.

Apeasecpc,

Thank you for your advice. I'll try on VT320 emulation to confirm the printing issue. May I know is there any setting in the terminal software for the passhtrough printing ?

Rgds

JK

Whether your terminal software needs to be set up for passthrough printing depends on the software.

The Teraterm terminal software I use has a setting in a .ini file that tells it which printer port to send passthrough print jobs to. Other software might automatically default to LPT1. You will need to check your terminal software documentation for how to set it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back