Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Print Spooler

Status
Not open for further replies.

JasonN

MIS
Dec 13, 2000
Is there a way of re-installing the print spooler without re-installing NT?

I have a Lexmark printer on DHCP with the name lab. The server can see the printer. When I try to print something I get an error that it doesn't see the printer. When I try to access the port the window freezes and I have to end task it.

When I try to add a digital network port I get the error "Specified port cannot be added. The parameter is incorrect".

Did you install the drivers that comes with the printer?
Also, is it a management software that came with the printer driver? When you will be able to see correctly in that software that it is able to connect and manage your printer, then you can think that the problem could be in NT...
Gia Betiu
m.betiu@chello.nl
Computer Eng. CNE 4, CNE 5

Lexmarks can be troublesome, both to manage and install. You will want to start by installing all the Lexmark software, including the MarkVision tool and software for network support.

Hi.. You say a digital network port. Are you absolutely sure this is the option?

Not wishing to sound patronising (just trying to help), here's the steps I follow to get the Lexmark T620s we have here and other buildings working.

1. Connect the printer to an active network port, so that it DHCPs.
2. Get a printout of the configuration page so you can see the IP number
3. Change the IP number to a static if required (we do this to avoid any hassles with DHCP possibly issuing a bogus IP number in the future)
4. On the server, install Microsoft TCPIP printing (under Network properties) if not installed and reboot.
5. On the server, add a LOCAL printer, and select Add port
6. Select LPR port
7. For the name or address, enter the printer's IP number
8. For the name of printer, enter RAW
9. Install the NT drivers
10. Set the paper size etc etc

You can then do a test print, and pray to whatever deity springs to mind :)

I should say that I've never had to use the MarkVision software. It looks nice, but needs a fairly beefy server to use. To change the IP number, just do it through the control panel on the printer - much easier :)

Hope this helps, and isn't seen as stating the obvious.

Gerard

Thanks, Gerard. For the record, I was using MarkVision with some pretty old printers. Lxi +'s and 2455's. I would hope that their printers have gotten easier to work with.

ShackDaddy

Thanks for all the ideas.

Here is what I have come across:

I have a Lexmark network printer. I have it on DHCP (preferred method) and it registers with WINS. I can ping the printer by ip and name. I installed the Lexmark Drivers and Markvision found the printer and did a test print. Everything was working fine. Later on I had to move the printer but the ip did not change. NT then could not see the printer even though it could ping the ip and name.

In Markvision the port was assigned to the correct "print server". I could not delete the port because it was in use. I could not add another port because the current printer was in use by another port.

A Lexmark tech suggested that I use the Digital network port and add it there. However NT says that it's an invalid parameter.

If I knew how to re-install the Digital network port I could use it to point to the printer name. I don't care for Markvision too much. It seems to cause more problems then it solves. I can't remove the ip from the server portion of Markvision.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back