Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

print spooler service

Status
Not open for further replies.

charel

Technical User
Sep 11, 2001
AU
hello,

when one of my users start up WinXP pro, they get a subsystem spooler error, and when i check the event log it shows as the Print Spooler terminated unexpectedly. I cannot install any printers. any ideas??

Thanks.

or your capture the screen or specify more for us to get some idea Kill Ghost Prince

I've been finding it impossible to copy and paste here, so i'll just type out the error msg content.
When the user first logs in, its taking around 5-10min, both networked and local machine only. The first error msg:
'Spooler Subsystem App has encountered a problem and needs to close.'
This is then followed by:
'The system has recovered from a serious error'
When i go into application event viewer:
'Faulting application spoolsv.exe version 5.1.2600.0, faulting module msvcrt.dll, version 7.0.2600.1106, fault address 0x000342ac'
system event viewer:
'The print spooler service terminated unexpectedly'
We are using WinXP pro in a Novell 4.11 enviro, printing mainly to HPLJ5simx printers.

thanks.

810894 - Error Message: Spooler Subsystem App Has Encountered a Problem and Needs to Close

Why is this soooo slow
thread779-261140

Some general things to try.

Run the System File Checker program from the Run Box by typing.....Sfc /Scannow in it and have your XP CD handy.

HOW TO: Verify Unsigned Device Drivers in Windows XP

If they don't work you could try repairing windows itself by running it over itself. You will lose all your windows updates but your files will be untouched.

How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade (Reinstallation) of Windows XP (Q315341)

thanks linney - the KB 810894 fixed up my spooler subsystem error, leaving another one 'Microsoft has recovered from a serious error' - i unchecked tcp/ip, restarted, checked tcp/ip, and now i am able to logon quickly with no errors..

thanks everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back