Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Print Spooler service terminated unexpectedly. Event ID 7031

Status
Not open for further replies.

arjagadish

Technical User
Jan 6, 2003
IN
Hi,

Recently we have started experiencing this problem in our laptop DELL Latitude.

As soon as we login, an error message pops-up saying "Spoolsv.exe has performed an illegal operation and will be closed". When I went to Event viewer and checked, it had a log saying "Event ID 7031" and "Print spooler Service terminated unexpectedly".

Any help would be really appreciated.
Note: This error pops-up, even when I do not submit any print jobs, this comes-up as soon as I login.

Jagadish

The spool service will start when the machine starts up. Have you recently installed any new printers?

Have not installed any new printers. Yeah, I know that the Spooler Service starts at automatic mode by default. I don't get it if I put it to manual and restart. But as soon as I start the service to take any print from the laptop "spoolsv.exe" crashes.

I have had the spooler service crash a couple of times in a citrix environment. Thing is, this only happens when a user logs on and has never happened when a print job has been submitted so the hotfix probably isnt appropraite

did you get to the bottom of this Jagadish ?

I have had a lot of success approaching this issue in a different fashion. The spooler failures, I believe, are almost always due to either a bad driver, or a corruption in the driver entries in the registry.

Solution: clean them all out of there, and rebuild the printer list.

Details:
Additional Note: check the printer manufacturer website to see if newer driver versions are available. If so, download and extract them, and use on your clean install above.

We are using uniprint, so this is not an issue for us. Ive re-installed uniprint and 1 server out of 3 has crashed once when a user logged on, so maybe not bad, but id sooner have no crashes

Andy

Ive never done that, the only thing ive ever deleted from the spool area was some print jobs that were left behind by uniprint from when uniprint had a previous configuration.

Thats the thing with it though, when you configure uniprint and citrix correctly, you dont get any local printers installed, therefore, no ropey drivers, no incorrect printer mapping, no driver corruption, nothing, so there's a lot less to troubleshoot

Have you had any experience with uniprint ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back