Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Print spooler keeps stopping after FR3 install

Status
Not open for further replies.

KAlfred

IS-IT--Management
Jul 2, 2002
US
Since we upgraded our server to FR3/SP3, we've experienced a problem with the print spooler stopping throughout the day. It seems to happen the first a user logs and tries to print. Their printer is autocreated fine. Once I start the print spooler back up, I can look in the printers folder and see a job in one of the printer queues. It's always the person that just called to say, "I can't print." For some reason after the print spooler has came back up it will run fine until a new user logs on that has logged on before. If a user has already experienced theis problem, they can log off and back on all they want, but the spooler doesn't drop. This problem repeats for everyone once we reboot. Any ideas gurus?

Thanks,
Kevin

I had this same problem with the print spooler crashing. It turned out to be a driver installed in the farm that the spooler didn't like. I removed the driver and haven't had the problem since.

Chris

We have auto-created and network printers. The majority are auto-created though. I don't think this could be just one driver causing the problem, due to the fact that we have many different models of printers.

The driver that caused the spooler to crash was an auto-created driver. We also have many different kinds of printers, but this one particular driver crashed the spooler over and over. We only had the problem with one particular server so I started looking at which drivers were installed on which servers. I noticed that one server had a driver installed that the others didn't, so I removed it and its been okay since. I think it was a Xerox driver that caused the trouble.

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back