Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Print Spooler event shows SYSTEM as user

Status
Not open for further replies.

baronne

Technical User
May 31, 2003
Our server has been setup just as a print server, the problem is when I have a look through the Event Viewer logs, the 'User' column displays SYSTEM as the print job owner, whereas it should show the actual user name of the person who submitted the job.

It wasn't set like this on our Win2K print server, I found a post on the net about this but I don't think this is the right way to go... :
On the Server enable Object access auditing for success. In the printer Properties click the Security tab, then the Advanced button. Click the Auditing tab, and you can add the users/groups you want to audit.

Here's an example of a log I get from the Event Viewer:
Event Type: Information
Event Source: Print
Event Category: None
Event ID: 10
Date: 24/11/2004
Time: 16:20:49
User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
Computer: GUTENBERG
Description:
Document 7, Microsoft Word - height rev A.doc owned by jumar was printed on magicolor 7300 PostScript via port magicolor7300. Size in bytes: 2616404; pages printed: 4

For more information, see Help and Support Center at
Is that post I found correct?? If so, that means going into every single printer share and modifying the Audit settings... seems odd to me. Can anyone help?

Cheers

Baronne

Have you found another fix yet?
I'm having a similar problem that I've been unable to find a resolution for. Instead of showing System as the print job owner, it displays Administrator on on PC and me on another. Neither Admin or myself are logged into either of the computers... any ideas?

Hi... I'm afraid I have found no solution yet... it is really frustrating 'cos I would really like to see the print jobs listed by the user name rather than SYSTEM or whatever else it might be... argh!

If you find anything please let me know ... cheers!

Baronne

did you find a solution yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back