Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

print sharing using windows xp

Status
Not open for further replies.

alpinetech

Technical User
Mar 16, 2006
CA
I have two windows xp systems in an office environment. Both are using wireless network cards. Both have all updates.
The situation is, i cannot seem to gain access to print shares or folder shares. Client for Microsoft, File and Print Sharing, and TCP/Ip are all installed.
The TCP/IP settings are: LMHOSTS lookup Enabled and the Netbios settings are Default.

I also reinstalled all items in the Local Area Connection to ensure nothing was corrupted.

I also tryed to select NetBios over TCP/IP. That seemed to display more hosts on the network.. but still cannot find shared devices. Im thinking its an Authentication issue but im not sure on it. Before i started getting these event logs I received log entries that said wrong username or wrong password. When i entered a legit username and password to connect to a share i still was not able to see the devices.

In the event logs i get this.
Event ID: 615
IPSec Services failed to get the complete list of network interfaces on the machine. This can be a potential security hazard to the machine since some of the network interfaces may not get the protection as desired by the applied IPSec filters. Please run IPSec monitor snap-in to further diagnose the problem.

Event ID: 529
Logon Failure:
Reason: Unknown user name or bad password
User Name: KCR LTD
Domain: D9HDT2C1
Logon Type: 2
Logon Process: Advapi
Authentication Package: Negotiate
Workstation Name: D9HDT2C1

Event ID: 680
Logon attempt by: MICROSOFT_AUTHENTICATION_PACKAGE_V1_0
Logon account: KCR LTD
Source Workstation: D9HDT2C1
Error Code: 0xC000006A

Are you using a third party Firwall at all?
Might need to configure.
Regards
Max

print server has norton security-anti virus,anti spam. and pcanywhere 12. the other pc is using norton antivirus,norton antispam, and blackice. i shut down all those mentioned but it still continues to not show devices, only the hosts.

when the hosts are displayed, in map network drive, it only displays locally.

I'd have a good look at PCanywhere and any other VPN software, these have often caused strange Networking problems.

This Registry setting can be used for troubleshooting Internet Protocol Security (IPSec) dependent on the Internet Key Exchange (IKE) protocol.

Once enabled, you will find the file OAKLEY.LOG inside the "%SystemRoot%\debug" folder.

See:
"HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\PolicyAgent\Oakley\

Add an entry of the REG_DWORD type value named "EnableLogging. A Data value of 1 or 0 for logging or no logging.

Problems are often fixed with running Netsh Winsock Reset Catalog from a Command Prompt.

Example of a fault.

12-02: 10:42:55:562:6b0 Obtain WSARecvMsg pointer failed 10045
12-02: 10:42:55:562:6b0 Obtain WSARecvMsg pointer failed 0
12-02: 10:42:55:562:6b0 Startup failed. Shutting down
12-02: 10:42:55:562:6b0 Initialization failed. Exiting
12-02: 10:42:55:562:6b0 Wait is done
12-02: 10:42:55:562:6b0 Before send_deletes
12-02: 10:42:55:562:6b0 AFter send_deletes
12-02: 10:42:55:562:6b0 Begin Wait. isadb_clean_socket 0
12-02: 10:42:55:562:6b0 End Wait. isadb_clean_socket
12-02: 10:42:55:562:6b0 Begin Wait. isadb_kill_old 0
12-02: 10:42:55:562:6b0 End Wait. isadb_kill_old
12-02: 10:42:55:562:6b0 Begin Wait. ActiveRpcCalls 0
12-02: 10:42:55:562:6b0 End Wait. ActiveRpcCalls

The above Indicates Failure of IPSEC. Below is the result after performing "Netsh Winsock Reset Catalog"

12-02: 10:54:57:546:6a4 Initialization OK

A new log is created every Boot, the last old entry is found in oakley.log.sav

Example of Security Log in the Event Viewer.

Event Type: Failure Audit
Event Source: Security
Event Category: Policy Change
Date: 18/04/2005
Time: 12:07:58 PM
User: NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE
Computer: P4
Description:
IPSec Services: IPSec Services failed to initialize IKE module with error code: The attempted operation is not supported for the type of object referenced.
. IPSec Services could not be started.

For more information,
or see Help and Support Center at

Source Security
Type Failure Audit
Description IPSec Services failed to initialize <module> module with error code: The attempted operation is not supported for the type of object referenced. IPSec Services could not be started.
Comments Ionut Marin (Last update 6/9/2004):
From a newsgroup post: "This error is almost definitely an issue with a third party "layered service provider" (LSP) module. These modules shim between Winsock and applications and sometimes fail (for various reasons) to support a base Winsock feature. Most LSPs are installed by third-party VPNs or firewalls so you may want to check those. There is no workaround except to update or uninstall the third-party software".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back