Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Print services for Macintosh/Appletalk printer problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

tech84

Technical User
May 18, 2000
US
I have a Win 2003 server with file and print svc for Macintosh installed. I have an HP Laserjet 5MP connected to the LPT1 port. I cannot figure out how to get this printer to use Appletalk. I've tried creating new port on the existing printer, starting from scratch and selecting Appletalk Printing Device as the port... all to no avail. I just keep getting the message that no Appletalk devices can be located. What am I missing here?

BTW the file sharing part works fine.

Thanks!

Mike
[morning]

Are you sure that Appletalk is enabled on the printer itself?

No, I'm not. I don't see anywhere on this printer where you can set up a protocol. There's no control panel display, as such, just buttons. I've gone into the advanced setup once I install the printer in Windows, but there's nothing in there about a protocol either. I'll keep looking.

Anyone have any experience with this Laserjet printer that can maybe point me in the right direction?

Thanks,

Mike
[morning]

The only thing I can see that may work is that there's a LocalTalk port on the back of the printer. Can I plug this port into my PC using some kind of adapter cable?

Thanks,

Mike
[morning]

I tested a Mac printing problem on a Windows 2003 server with a locally attached printer HP5si and it worked fine. All I did was installed the print server for Macintosh services on the server. The printer was installed using the standard lpt1 port. You shouldn't have to create a special appletalk port. You also shouldn't need to do anything special on the printer. Make sure the "print server for Macintosh" services is running.

Thank you for your suggestions. I opted for an old external print server I had laying around. It's a Lexmark MarkNet Pro 1, supports TCP/IP & AppleTalk, and works great!

Thanks again!

Mike
[morning]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back